OutOfMemoryError GC overhead limit exceeded

T K

Aug 16, 2022, 2:45:23 AM8/16/22
to Nexus Users
Hello,

I'm running into this error since 4 months. The frequency is more often in the past weeks. Now I get this nearly every two days:

ERROR [qtp437783388-23038]  *UNKNOWN org.sonatype.nexus.repository.storage.LastDownloadedHandler - Failed to update last downloaded time for request /org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-install-plugin/2.4/maven-install-plugin-2.4.pom
com.orientechnologies.orient.core.exception.OJVMErrorException: JVM error 'OutOfMemoryError : GC overhead limit exceeded' occurred during data processing, storage is switched to 'read-only' mode. To prevent this exception please restart the JVM and check data consistency by calling of 'check database' command from database console.
    DB name="component"

I attach a part of the nexus.log where the errors happened.

Config
Nexus is running on a 4-core VM with 48GB of RAM. nexus.vmoptions memory setting is like the following (according to https://help.sonatype.com/repomanager3/product-information/system-requirements#SystemRequirements-ExampleMaximumMemoryConfigurations guide):

-Xms6G
-Xmx6G
-XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=15G

Repositories:
* 9 group repositories (4 maven, 5 nuget)
* 5 hosted maven
* 5 hosted nuget
* other hosted repos: 1 docker, 1 helm, 2 raw
* 20 proxy maven
* 2 proxy nuget
* other proxy repos: 1 pypi, 1 rubygems, 1 r, 1 bower, 1 npm

with nearly 620.000 entries in different blobs.

SInce march 2022 we didn't had problems. I cannot bin this error to a specified nexus version (nexus-3.38.0-01 was in use when the error first occured, but only after 4 weeks after installation). I'm also facing this issue with nexus-3.39.0-01 and nexus-3.41.0-01.

Things I tried so far:
I've upgraded the memory from 24GB to 48GB and adapted memory settings in the nexus.vmoptions accordingly.
The command found 130 entries to repair and afterwards the nexus runs IHMO a bit longer without errors, but at least after 2 or 3 days. Same error happens again and I have to restart the nexus application.

I don't know what I can do now.. Hope you can help me or can give me an advise.

Really appreciate your help!
best wishes, Thomas
nexus.log