Nexus 2 to nexus 3 upgrade

Anurag Arora

Oct 24, 2018, 2:22:30 AM10/24/18
to Nexus Users

HI Team,
I am getting the below issue while upgrading Nexus 2.14.9 to Nexus 3.13.

Failed: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Ingestion method FS_LINK unavailable from repository bt-travel-wildfly to blob store default. Allowed: [[DOWNLOAD]]

I am blocked because of the above issue. Can you please suggest?

Rich Seddon

Oct 24, 2018, 10:37:13 AM10/24/18
to Nexus Users
The hard linking method of upgrade will only work if Nexus 2 and 3 work directories are on the same disk volume, and the disk volume supports hard links.

You'll either need to move the Nexus 3 work directory to the same disk as Nexus 2, or choose another upgrade method.

Cadiha

Mar 3, 2024, 1:59:21 PMMar 3
to Nexus Users, Rich Seddon
Hi all,
I am also getting the same error but I think I have already fulfilled all the requirements regarding hard linking method.

I have nexus2 running as docker container and I want to upgrade it to nexus3 which will also run as docker container.

1. Please see my example docker compose file below:
version: '3.7'
services:
  nexus2:
    image: sonatype/nexus:2.15.1-02
    container_name: nexus_app_2
    user: "root"
    restart: unless-stopped
    ports:
      - 8082:8081
    volumes:
      - /opt/local/nexus-server/sonatype-work/nexus:/sonatype-work

  nexus3:
    image: sonatype/nexus3:3.65.0
    container_name: nexus_app
    user: "root"
    restart: unless-stopped
    ports:
      - 8081:8081
    volumes:
      - /opt/local/nexus-server/sonatype-work/nexus:/nexus-data

This ensures that both nexuses use the same storage system on same mount points.

2. The filesystem I use is xfs which supports hard linking

3. The number of available file handles is 65536 - which I think is enough.

Do you have any assumptions what might cause it?

Cadiha

Mar 11, 2024, 11:42:56 AMMar 11
to Nexus Users, Rich Seddon
We found what the issue was.
As you know, hard links can't be created in different filesystems. Since we have 2 different containers basically 2 different machines, of course it is not possible to create hardlink since they will have different filesystem - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U29kk8dR14c&t=767s&ab_channel=BugX