Braddock Bay (21 May 2024) 1,952 Raptors

rep...@hawkcount.org

May 21, 2024, 7:54:05 PMMay 21
to genesee...@geneseo.edu
Braddock Bay
Rochester, New York, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: May 21, 2024
SpeciesDay's CountMonth TotalSeason Total
Black Vulture124
Turkey Vulture572504726830
Osprey1344100
Bald Eagle1436051144
Northern Harrier20146581
Sharp-shinned Hawk85113358
Cooper's Hawk215202
American Goshawk001
Red-shouldered Hawk00349
Broad-winged Hawk1176759532572
Red-tailed Hawk122171253
Rough-legged Hawk1732
Golden Eagle01251
American Kestrel424304
Merlin01237
Peregrine Falcon01231
Unknown Accipiter000
Unknown Buteo000
Unknown Falcon000
Unknown Eagle000
Unknown Raptor000
Mississippi Kite022
Short-eared Owl001
Swainson's Hawk002
Total:19521425166854

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours
Official CounterDavid Brown
Observers: Bridget Watts, Daena Ford, Dan Gallagher, Dominic Sherony, Kim Steininger, Mike Tetlow, Shelly Rackovsky

Visitors:
12

Weather:
Mostly sun and hot. We started out at Braddock Bay Park. The winds started out light to moderate and alternating between a southerly wind to a northeast lake breeze. We moved to Frisbee Hill at 10am EST and observed from the shade of the trees near the parking lot. Eventually a strong southwest wind overpowered the lake breeze and we moved back to Braddock Bay Park around 12pm EST and observed from the shade of trees near the parking lot. Temperatures surpassed the mid-80s in the afternoon with gusty winds that shifted WSW.

Raptor Observations:
Observing from Braddock Bay Park in the morning it took a bit for the flight to get going and most of the activity was in towards the parkway. We moved to Frisbee Hill because of a light lake breeze and a huge flight picked up over the parking lot with a peak hour of nearly 900 birds. The flight mostly consisted of Turkey Vultures, juvenile Broad-winged Hawks, and Bald Eagles. The flight was low to medium altitude. Once the southwest wind overpowered the lake breeze we lost the flight line at Frisbee Hill and moved back to Braddock Bay Park. A steady flight continued with highlights including a BLACK VULTURE and a light-morph ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK. The flight was high altitude and slowed down considerably the last few hours. This was the biggest Turkey Vulture flight since March 2nd, with a total of 572. Today was the highest Bald Eagle total of the season with 143. We had a total of 1,176 Broad-winged Hawks today. Braddock Bay 2024 Daily Summaries Video Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8baxseGlb6tgpFvuDK4-aadMhx7wTfo

Non-raptor Observations:
West Spit: 2 Ring-necked Ducks, Wild Turkey, Black-bellied Plover, Semipalmated Plover, 3 Short-billed Dowitchers, 12 Dunlin, Least Sandpiper, 4 Semipalmated Sandpipers, 39 peep sp., Forster's Tern, 185 Cedar Waxwings, Mourning Warbler, Canada Warbler, Wilson's Warbler. https://ebird.org/checklist/S176131923 Braddock Bay Park: Killdeer, Willow Flycatcher https://ebird.org/checklist/S176235067 Frisbee Hill: 2 Eastern Bluebirds https://ebird.org/checklist/S176235868 Braddock Bay Park: Common Nighthawk, 4 AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS https://ebird.org/checklist/S176237024 eBird Trip Report: https://ebird.org/tripreport/243099 New species for season: Black-bellied Plover

Predictions:
TOMORROW: Mostly sunny in the morning. Scattered showers and thunderstorms developing in the afternoon. A few storms may be severe. High around 85F. Winds SW at 10-20mph. Good wind direction and speed. A lake breeze is possible if the wind is too weak, in which case we'll try to catch the flight at Frisbee Hill. Spotting may be difficult in the morning if there aren't many clouds. The day may end up being cut short depending on when and where storms develop. A bit unpredictable because of the wind and chance of storms, but there is definitely the chance of it being another good day. Another day of strong southerly winds hopefully means more rarities. Prepare for hot conditions and bring plenty of cold water. Bring a chair in case we are camped out in the shade. THURSDAY: Partly cloudy. High around 75F. Winds WNW at 5-10mph. Expect moderate migration. FRIDAY: Mainly sunny. High around 75F. Winds WNW at 10-15mph. Expect moderate migration.

Report submitted by David Brown (davide...@gmail.com)
Braddock Bay information may be found at: http://www.bbrr.org/
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month Summary]