Braddock Bay (19 May 2024) 125 Raptors

rep...@hawkcount.org

May 19, 2024, 5:08:36 PMMay 19
to genesee...@geneseo.edu
Braddock Bay
Rochester, New York, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: May 19, 2024
SpeciesDay's CountMonth TotalSeason Total
Black Vulture013
Turkey Vulture57440526188
Osprey03187
Bald Eagle3450989
Northern Harrier1118553
Sharp-shinned Hawk05033350
Cooper's Hawk013200
American Goshawk001
Red-shouldered Hawk00349
Broad-winged Hawk64636931346
Red-tailed Hawk02021238
Rough-legged Hawk0631
Golden Eagle01251
American Kestrel020300
Merlin01237
Peregrine Falcon01231
Unknown Accipiter000
Unknown Buteo000
Unknown Falcon000
Unknown Eagle000
Unknown Raptor000
Mississippi Kite022
Short-eared Owl001
Swainson's Hawk002
Total:1251215664759

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours
Official CounterDavid Brown
Observers: Kim Steininger, Shelly Rackovsky

Visitors:
3

Weather:
Cloudy to start the day with fog moving in from the lake. Clearing up by mid-morning. Light northerly winds. Moved to Frisbee Hill at 10:30am EST where it remained mostly sunny, while a layer of fog remained along the lake shore into the afternoon.

Raptor Observations:
Great Horned Owl was mobbed by crows at the hawk watch in the morning. Slow but steady migration of Turkey Vultures and Broad-winged Hawks. A few Bald Eagles and one Northern Harrier. Braddock Bay 2024 Daily Summaries Video Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8baxseGlb6tgpFvuDK4-aadMhx7wTfo

Non-raptor Observations:
Charlotte Pier: Semipalmated Plover https://ebird.org/checklist/S175533896 West Spit: Mourning Warbler https://ebird.org/checklist/S175539432 Owl Woods: Mourning Warbler https://ebird.org/checklist/S175575427 Braddock Bay Park: Willow Flycatcher https://ebird.org/checklist/S175635981 Frisbee Hill: Blue-winged Warbler https://ebird.org/checklist/S175709897 eBird Trip Report: https://ebird.org/tripreport/241983

Predictions:
TOMORROW: Mix of sun and clouds. High around 70F. Winds N at 5-10mph. Similar to today. Would expect light migration of expected species. We will be unable to use the platform due to helicopter water drop training in the park. With the winds we will probably end up moving to Frisbee Hill. TUESDAY: Partly cloudy. High 81F. Winds WSW at 10-15mph. Good winds, but a lake breeze is possible if the wind is too weak. If we hold onto those good winds we could end up with a decent flight. WEDNESDAY: Partly cloudy early. Scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. Winds SW at 10-15mph. Good winds but the same comments about the lake breeze apply.

Report submitted by David Brown (davide...@gmail.com)
Braddock Bay information may be found at: http://www.bbrr.org/
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month Summary]