Braddock Bay (20 May 2024) 143 Raptors

rep...@hawkcount.org

May 20, 2024, 7:49:10 PMMay 20
to genesee...@geneseo.edu
Braddock Bay
Rochester, New York, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: May 20, 2024
SpeciesDay's CountMonth TotalSeason Total
Black Vulture013
Turkey Vulture70447526258
Osprey03187
Bald Eagle124621001
Northern Harrier8126561
Sharp-shinned Hawk05033350
Cooper's Hawk013200
American Goshawk001
Red-shouldered Hawk00349
Broad-winged Hawk50641931396
Red-tailed Hawk32051241
Rough-legged Hawk0631
Golden Eagle01251
American Kestrel020300
Merlin01237
Peregrine Falcon01231
Unknown Accipiter000
Unknown Buteo000
Unknown Falcon000
Unknown Eagle000
Unknown Raptor000
Mississippi Kite022
Short-eared Owl001
Swainson's Hawk002
Total:1431229964902

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6.5 hours
Official CounterDavid Brown
Observers: Bob Brown, Doc Pawsitive, Grace Dowdall, Kim Steininger, Mike Tetlow

Visitors:
6

Weather:
Sunny but a bit hazy with a high layer of clouds, especially in the morning. The winds started out light and variable then became a weak northeast lake breeze. We watched from near the cars because the platform was closed due to helicopter bucket training in the park. Moved to Frisbee Hill at 12pm EST where we watched from near the parking lot.

Raptor Observations:
Some early activity over Braddock Bay Park including a group of around 25 Broad-winged Hawks. Light migration throughout the morning of Turkey Vultures, Bald Eagles, and Northern Harriers. The flight was pushed inland by the lake breeze and by the time we got to Frisbee Hill there was very little activity. Mike T. scouted further inland and found a flight line there. Braddock Bay 2024 Daily Summaries Video Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8baxseGlb6tgpFvuDK4-aadMhx7wTfo

Non-raptor Observations:
Lakeview Church Trail: 2 Alder Flycatchers, 8 Swainson's Thrushes, Lincoln's Sparrow, 11 species of warblers, Indigo Bunting. https://ebird.org/checklist/S175857953 Firehouse Woods: Alder Flycatcher, Mourning Warbler, Wilson's Warbler https://ebird.org/checklist/S175865020 Owl Woods: 3 Blue-winged Warblers, Mourning Warbler https://ebird.org/checklist/S175879212 Braddock Bay Park: Black-billed Cuckoo, 7 Sandhill Cranes https://ebird.org/checklist/S175993457 Frisbee Hill: https://ebird.org/checklist/S175993423 eBird Trip Report: https://ebird.org/tripreport/242545 New species for season: Black-billed Cuckoo

Predictions:
TOMORROW: Partly cloudy. A stray shower or thunderstorm possible. High 82F. Winds SW at 10-20mph. Good winds for as long as we hold onto them. A lake breeze is possible, in which case we'll see if we can pick up the flight from Frisbee Hill. WEDNESDAY: Partly cloudy early. Scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. Gusty winds and small hail are possible. High 83F. Winds SW at 10-20mph. Good winds but a lake breeze is possible again. THURSDAY: Rain showers early with mostly cloudy conditions later. High 73F. Winds W at 10-15mph. Expect light to moderate migration.

Report submitted by David Brown (davide...@gmail.com)
Braddock Bay information may be found at: http://www.bbrr.org/
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month Summary]