need help IDing calling bird

Jim F

May 21, 2024, 1:58:00 PMMay 21
to Geneseebirds

Hi folks,

This morning I heard a bird that was repeatedly giving a two-note call that neither I nor Merlin bird ID recognized. It reminded me of some sort of flycatcher with its monotony.  If you want to take a listen, I’ve shared the audio recordings here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/158ZUWaC5DwMJfUt_TrUnOSNbet-iedRY?usp=sharing

In recording #1, it can be heard at approximately 2, 8, 19, 36, 40, 45 and 52 seconds.  I moved a little closer for recording #2, where it can be heard at 5, 9, and 13 seconds.  I didn’t hear it after that.

It was was calling from a wooded area behind my backyard in Rochester.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jim

Lynn A. Braband

May 21, 2024, 2:38:41 PMMay 21
to Jim F, Geneseebirds
Tufted Titmouse?

May 21, 2024, 2:47:46 PMMay 21
to Jim F, Geneseebirds

Hi Jim,

Sounds like a Tufted Titmouse to me.

Relative to all the background calls (noise), the Merlin algorithm probably has a hard time calling it with enough confidence to report any thing.  Python Merlin only picks up one of the calls at 81% confidence as a Tufted Titmouse.

Looks like you had a Blackpoll warbler there, too. Nice.

John

May 21, 2024, 4:52:56 PMMay 21
to Jim F, Geneseebirds
Sent from my iPad