[GeneseeBirds-L] Migration!

Bird observations from western New York

Mar 24, 2018, 1:46:15 PM3/24/18
to genesee...@geneseo.edu, Geneseebirds, David Suggs

Today at our feeders in the Town of Wilson, Betsy pointed out a PINE SISKIN on our niger seed feeder. Then, I noticed a male PURPLE FINCH on our tray of sunflower seed.

I was out on the lake-plain in eastern Niagara and western Orleans Counties yesterday. I only saw a few Turkey Vultures and a couple of Red-tailed Hawks moving, so I spent most of my time scouring the geese. I had groups of one, five, and nine CACKLING GEESE plus two GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE, all in Orleans County. Nine of the Cacklers and the White-fronts were on the south side of Rt 18, less than a half mile west of Murdock Road.

Good birding!

Willie

------------------

Willie D'Anna

Wilson, NY

dannapotterATroadrunnerDOTcom

Willie D'Anna

Mar 24, 2018, 1:46:20 PM3/24/18
to genesee...@geneseo.edu, Geneseebirds, David Suggs

Bird observations from western New York

Mar 24, 2018, 1:54:52 PM3/24/18
to genesee...@geneseo.edu, Geneseebirds, David Suggs

I forgot to mention what was, for me anyway, one of my better sightings yesterday. I had a COMMON RAVEN on Lower Lake Road, a little east of Coates Road. This is about three miles east of the power plant where they have nested. Although ravens are reported occasionally in Niagara County, I have not had a knack for finding them, so I enjoyed this opportunity. A few photos in my eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S43888702

Good birding!

Willie

Willie D'Anna