PCN96: Venice SBC Booting Errata - VN8

rerbstoesser

Dec 28, 2023, 6:04:11 PM12/28/23
to PCN – Product Change Notifications
This PCN is to notify of an errata on the Venice Family of SBCs (GW71xx, GW72xx, GW73xx, GW74xx) that may cause a Gateworks single board computer to not boot properly.

To see more details, please visit PCN96 on the following link:

Ryan Erbstoesser

Dec 29, 2023, 3:09:24 PM12/29/23
to Zach Cross, PCN – Product Change Notifications, Greg Pohodich, sup...@gateworks.com
Hello Zach,

It is only going to affect the boards that are in a very specific battery range and made worse when the reboot command is used.
Thus I don't think you're going to find much of an issue with your current set of boards.

I would recommend updating your GSC firmware and the other software recommendations in the wiki before deployment.

Thank you,
Ryan

Ryan Erbstoesser
Field Application Engineer
Gateworks Corporation
3026 S. Higuera, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
www.gateworks.com

On Fri, Dec 29, 2023 at 9:56 AM Zach Cross <za...@ifminteractive.com> wrote:
Ryan,

Thanks for sending this notification.  Can you give us an idea of what percentage of boards may be affected?

We've got about 100 boards inside assembled units sitting in a warehouse right now waiting to be installed.

Looking at the battery lifetime estimates, I think it's likely we'll have mostly dead batteries by the time the units are powered on next time.

If we're only looking at a few units that need to be opened, that's manageable.  But, if all 100+ are expected to not boot anymore without disassembly, I've gotta figure out what to do...

Thanks,
Zach

--
Zach Cross