Is anyone familiar with how these work?
The reason I'm looking into it is because we want to change the text
that is displayed on a number of widgets. We have our own adhoc plugin
with modal dialog screens and it seems a few of our users are getting
confused by the 'Waiting' label at the top of the screen (when
Galicaster is idle), thinking that something is happening that they need
to wait for before interacting with the modal dialog.
Also we use the hidetabs plugin (not active in the screenshot attached)
and we only show the 'Recording' tab (the tab information section is
mainly obscured by the on screen keyboard) and some users seem to
interpret this 'Recording' text as meaning there is a recording taking
place, rather than it being a 'Recording details' information section.
So I started looking into translations to whether we could change labels
I currently have a clone of the latest master branch and there is the
galicaster.pot template file, and 4 translations (es, fr, nl, sl) in the
I can only seem to get the es and fr versions to work, by adding the
LANGUAGE environment variable when running Galicaster, e.g.
Incidentally (and not the main point of my email) I noticed only about
half of the text gets translated, see attached screenshot...it seems the
translations need to happen manually and only some labels are changed
The difference between the translations that work (es and fr) and those
that don't (nl and sl) is that the es and fr ones have the
LC_MESSAGES/galicaster.mo binary files included - *.mo is in the
.gitignore file so I'm not sure whether these are actually meant to be
in the repository?
Thinking that the absence of the .mo files is the reason that the nl and
sl translations aren't working, I've generated the galicaster.mo files
for the nl and sl (using msgfmt) but that didn't seem to work.
I've also tried going back further by generating a new .po file from the
galicaster.pot for nl and sl, and then generating the .mo files for them
from the new .po file but couldn't seem to get that working either.
If I set the translation fallback option to False, then an exception
is thrown for anything other than es and fr:
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/gettext.py", line 560, in translation
raise IOError(ENOENT, 'No translation file found for domain', domain)
IOError: [Errno 2] No translation file found for domain: 'galicaster'
There may be a nicer way of doing this without translations, but
translations seem to be the least intrusive/potentially easiest way by
just dropping in a new translation to the application directory rather
than modify core code..
Multimedia Software Developer
University of Sussex
+44 (0) 1273 873269