Both audio tracks record the same audio

Hans Erasmus

Mar 2, 2020, 10:11:23 AM3/2/20
to comm...@galicaster.org
Hi all

We have set up 2 audio sources, and been using it like that now for a few years. But lately, all of a sudden (it feels) GC started recording both tracks from the same source.

Track one (sound.mp3)= Line in on the computer, taken from the amplifier/mixing desk in the classroom and providing a "mirrored" audio track of what learners hear in class
Track two (sound1.mp3) = ASTRUM USB device that supplies us with a real-time translator feed.

But we have had sporadic cases where the one feed recorded on both tracks. So instead of having two distinct tracks, both sound.mp3 and sound1.mp3 is either a Lecturer/Classroom track or a translator track. I checked the sources, and it did record wrong.

This happens on machines where previous recordings worked perfectly, and without us touching it, it just does this.

Does this maybe have something to do with device locations not being set up correctly? Or what do you guys think?

This has me stumped, and a lot of lecturers quite upset (understandably).

Regards
Hans

Vrywaringsklousule / Disclaimer: http://www.nwu.ac.za/it/gov-man/disclaimer.html

Alfonso Rodriguez

Mar 2, 2020, 11:42:02 AM3/2/20
to comm...@galicaster.org
Hi Hans,

All I can think is that your sound.mp3 track is set to the default audio of linux instead of the line in specifically, and that your ASTRUM USB device is sometimes being set as the default audio input for linux, thus causing the issue.

What recording profile configuration are you using?

Kind regards

Alfonso Rodríguez Pereira
TELTEK Video Research

http://teltek.es/

La información contenida en este mensaje y/o archivo(s) adjunto(s) es confidencial/privilegiada y está destinada a ser leída sólo por la(s) persona(s) a la(s) que va dirigida. Si usted lee este mensaje y no es el destinatario señalado, el empleado o el agente responsable de entregar el mensaje al destinatario, o ha recibido esta comunicación por error, le informamos que está totalmente prohibida, y puede ser ilegal, cualquier divulgación, distribución o reproducción de esta comunicación, y le rogamos que nos lo notifique inmediatamente y nos devuelva el mensaje original a la dirección arriba mencionada. Gracias.

The
information contained in this message and/or attached file(s) is confidential/privileged and is intended to be read only by the person(s) to whom it is directed. If you are reading this message and you are not the indicated recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the addressee, or you have received this communication by mistake, please be aware that any dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be illegal. Please notify us immediately and return the original message to the aforementioned address. Thank you.

Hans Erasmus

Mar 2, 2020, 1:26:07 PM3/2/20
to comm...@galicaster.org
Hi Alfonso

Herewith an example of the profile settings we use:

[data]
name = IPCam+DP+2Line

[track1]
name = MegaPixel IPCam
device = rtp
location =
rtsp://admin:mypas...@192.168.1.64:554/Streaming/Channels/101/
file = camera.avi
flavor = presenter
cameratype = h264
audio = False
active = True
path = /home/opencast/Repository/attach

[track2]
name = Datapath
device = v4l2
flavor = presentation
location = /dev/video0
file = presentation.avi
caps = video/x-raw,format=YUY2,framerate=30/1,width=1280,height=720
videoencoder = x264enc quantizer=22 speed-preset=2

[track3]
amplification = 1
name = Line In
vumeter = True
location = alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo
file = sound.mp3
device = pulse
path = /home/opencast/Repository/attach
flavor = presenter
active = True

[track4]
amplification = 1
name = Translator Line In
vumeter = True
location = alsa_input.usb-GeneralPlus_USB_Audio_Device-00.analog-mono
file = sound1.mp3
device = pulse
path = /home/opencast/Repository/attach
flavor = presentation
active = True

Regards
Hans

Vrywaringsklousule / Disclaimer:
http://www.nwu.ac.za/it/gov-man/disclaimer.html
>>> Alfonso Rodriguez <arodr...@teltek.es> 03/02/20 6:42 PM >>>
Hi Hans,

All I can think is that your sound.mp3 track is set to the default audio
of
linux instead of the line in specifically, and that your ASTRUM USB
device
is sometimes being set as the default audio input for linux, thus
causing
the issue.

What recording profile configuration are you using?

Kind regards

*Alfonso Rodríguez PereiraTELTEK Video Research*
http://teltek.es/

*La información contenida en este mensaje y/o archivo(s) adjunto(s) es
confidencial/privilegiada y está destinada a ser leída sólo por la(s)
persona(s) a la(s) que va dirigida. Si usted lee este mensaje y no es el
destinatario señalado, el empleado o el agente responsable de entregar
el
mensaje al destinatario, o ha recibido esta comunicación por error, le
informamos que está totalmente prohibida, y puede ser ilegal, cualquier
divulgación, distribución o reproducción de esta comunicación, y le
rogamos que nos lo notifique inmediatamente y nos devuelva el mensaje
original a la dirección arriba mencionada. Gracias.The **information
contained in this message and/or attached file(s) is
confidential/privileged and is intended to be read only by the person(s)
whom it is directed. If you are reading this message and you are not the
indicated recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering
the message to the addressee, or you have received this communication by
mistake, please be aware that **any dissemination, distribution or
reproduction of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be
illegal. Please notify us immediately and return the original message to
the aforementioned address. Thank you.*
> This has me stumped, and a lot of lecturers quite upse> http://www.nwu.ac.za/it/gov-man/disclaimer.html

Hans Erasmus

Mar 3, 2020, 1:40:51 AM3/3/20
to comm...@galicaster.org
I might also add, to know which locations to use in my profile files, I
run the following one-liner bash script:

pactl list | grep "Source" -A 2

Which, among others, returns outputs like these:

Source #0
State: SUSPENDED
Name: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_03.0.hdmi-stereo.monitor
--
Source #1
State: SUSPENDED
Name:
alsa_output.usb-0d8c_USB_PnP_Sound_Device-00.analog-stereo.monitor
--
Source #2
State: RUNNING
Name: alsa_input.usb-0d8c_USB_PnP_Sound_Device-00.analog-mono
--
Source #3
State: IDLE
Name: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor
--
Source #4
State: RUNNING
Name: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
--
Source Output #4
Driver: protocol-native.c
Owner Module: 12
--
Source: 4
Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
Channel Map: front-left,front-right
--
Source Latency: 435 usec
Resample method: copy

So this is what I then copy and paste as my "locations" for my sound
devices.

Is this method wrong?

Alfonso Rodriguez

Mar 4, 2020, 5:49:43 AM3/4/20
to comm...@galicaster.org
The profile and locations are correct.

I don't know what else could be causing this, maybe some obscure pulseaudio behaviour? Have there been any kinds of updates on those capture agents?

Cheers,

[...]

Hans Erasmus

Mar 4, 2020, 7:02:47 AM3/4/20
to comm...@galicaster.org
No, no updates. I have them all set to a specific image, to ensure all
capture agents "behave" in the same manner. They only get updated once a
new image is built.

Thanks for the reply. Glad to know my location settings are correct,
then I will need to figure out another way to find out what is going on
here.

Regards
Hans

Vrywaringsklousule / Disclaimer:
http://www.nwu.ac.za/it/gov-man/disclaimer.html
>>> Alfonso Rodriguez <arodr...@teltek.es> 03/04/20 12:49 PM >>>
The profile and locations are correct.

I don't know what else could be causing this, maybe some obscure
pulseaudio
behaviour? Have there been any kinds of updates on those capture agents?

Cheers,

*Alfonso Rodríguez PereiraTELTEK Video Research*
http://teltek.es/

*La información contenida en este mensaje y/o archivo(s) adjunto(s) es
confidencial/privilegiada y está destinada a ser leída sólo por la(s)
persona(s) a la(s) que va dirigida. Si usted lee este mensaje y no es el
destinatario señalado, el empleado o el agente responsable de entregar
el
mensaje al destinatario, o ha recibido esta comunicación por error, le
informamos que está totalmente prohibida, y puede ser ilegal, cualquier
divulgación, distribución o reproducción de esta comunicación, y le
rogamos que nos lo notifique inmediatamente y nos devuelva el mensaje
original a la dirección arriba mencionada. Gracias.The **information
contained in this message and/or attached file(s) is
confidential/privileged and is intended to be read only by the person(s)
whom it is directed. If you are reading this message and you are not the
indicated recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering
the message to the addressee, or you have received this communication by
mistake, please be aware that **any dissemination, distribution or
reproduction of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be
illegal. Please notify us immediately and return the original message to
the aforementioned address. Thank you.*

> What recording profile configuration are you using?> *La información contenida en este mensaje y/o archivo(s) adjunto(s)

Alfonso Rodriguez

Mar 4, 2020, 11:13:58 AM3/4/20
to comm...@galicaster.org
Hello Hans,

I have learned about an issue that might be related which was found on the Galicaster PRO.

Apparently, when there is at least one line in source and one USB source, if we disconnect the USB source, we get duplicated audio from the other source. I haven't had time to test it or investigate it thoroughly yet, but it may be related to what you are experiencing.

[...]

Hans Erasmus

Mar 5, 2020, 2:17:11 AM3/5/20
to comm...@galicaster.org
Hi Alfonso
This sound promising. Will you please keep me updated on your findings?