Wildlife Biology Internship at Wild Sun in Costa Rica

Primate-Programs

Jun 29, 2021, 12:26:14 PM6/29/21
to Primate-Programs
Position Description:  Wild Sun is a non-profit organization in Cabuya, Costa Rica. We are not only dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation, and release of our local wildlife but also to reintroduction of locally extinct species and other large-scale conservation projects. Preserving biodiversity and ecosystem balance are at the core of what we do. For the benefit of the animals in our care, consistency with their caretakers is key. For that reason, we will only accept interns willing to commit 12 weeks to the care of the animals. Volunteers and interns work 6 days a week for 6-8 hours a day, as needs dictate. Interns begin their stay at Wild Sun Rescue working alongside the other volunteers. Volunteer duties include but are not limited to:

-Animal husbandry
-Diet preparation
-Enclosure building/maintenance
-Cleaning and upkeep of center
-Educational programming

As interns become comfortable with our system (within a few weeks), we begin work on the internship program. Research topics of the Wildlife Biology Intern include, but are not limited to:

-Life history research on local wildlife
-Data input and preliminary analysis of rehabilitation data through Wild Sun Database
-Behavioural focal scans of patients in pre-release to better understand their release criteria
-Post-release monitoring

At the backbone of the internship program is a research project complete with a manuscript. This project gives the opportunity for individuals to practice their critical thinking skills and scientific writing, while helping the rescue center through their own research

Wild Sun is a beautiful, ocean view property with a yoga deck, infinity pool, on-site rescue center, and various common areas among 5 acres of land next to the Cabo Blanco National Park. We have a private chef who will prepare all meals for those on the meal plan, except for lunch and dinner on Saturdays. Most dietary needs can be accommodated.

Qualifications/Experience: Applicants must be at least 20 years old, able to work in all weather conditions, and comfortable being on their feet for extended periods of time. Prior experience in animal husbandry is valued but not required, as all volunteers and interns go through a formal training upon arrival. Prior experience in biology, environmental sciences, statistics, field work, or related fields will be given preference. Strong work ethic, flexibility, positive attitude, and a passion for animals are a must.

Fees: The program fee for a 12-week internship is $800 +13%tax. Interns receive lodging at Wild Sun Jungle Resort in one of our simple shared rooms or co-ed dormitory for $30 +tax. Hot showers and internet are available for all. Or can opt to live off-site. You may cook your own meals in our shared kitchen, or you can opt in to a professional meal plan for $115 + 13% sales tax/week. Finally, a $400 deposit is required to reserve your spot. Upon successful completion of your full 12 weeks, the $400 of deposit will be returned to you.

Term of Appointment: 12 weeks

Application Deadline: Rolling

Comments: To apply, email Cecilia (cec...@wildsunrescue.org) with the subject line "Wildlife Biology Internship." Please include a resume or CV, a list of references, and a brief letter of intent.

If you cannot commit to a 12 week internship but are interested in our program, we do offer shorter-term volunteer appointments. Contact Jeremy (jer...@wildsunrescue.com) for questions about packages and pricing.