Scholarship deadline extended for field research programs (Peru)

Information FPI

Mar 9, 2021, 9:33:25 PM3/9/21
to Primate-Programs
Field Projects International (FPI) is extending the application deadline for our three scholarships, which are currently available for our 2021 field research training programs. These scholarships are now open until April 1st, with decisions announced by April 7th. Applicants will need to submit an online form along with a 750-1000 word essay citing their sources in APA format.

More details and the application form can be found at: https://fieldprojects.org/participate/scholarships

What is included in a scholarship?

Our scholarships include transportation from Puerto Maldonado, Peru, to the Los Amigos Biological Station and back, as well as meals and lodging for the duration of the selected program (4 weeks). Winners will be able to choose from among our four research training programs: Conservation Technology, Biodiversity Monitoring, Wildlife Health, and Primate Monitoring.

This year's scholarships are:

1) Future Black Scientists Scholarship: Awarded regardless of nationality to black students who are pursuing studies in biological sciences, conservation, or a related field.

2) Global Studies Scholarship: Awarded regardless of age, nationality, socioeconomic status, religion, or any other aspect of an individual’s personal identity.

3) Local Opportunity Scholarship: Awarded to an individual with nationality and current residence in the country where a given field program is taking place (i.e. Peru).

Apply online and get more information: https://fieldprojects.org/participate/scholarships

2021 Field Research Programs

The above scholarships are applicable to each of the following 4-week training programs being offered in the Peruvian Amazon in 2021.

𝟏) 𝐁𝐢𝐨𝐝𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐦: ⁣Our goal is to conduct large-scale biodiversity screens of mammals in the Madre De Dios region, which will be used to develop genetic and genomic resources and tools for more targeted population monitoring of focal species in the future. ⁣Participants will conduct field sampling for environmental DNA screening, as well as learn DNA extraction, PCR amplification, nanopore-based sequencing, bioinformatics pipeline executions, and much more.

Biodiversity Monitoring program details: https://fieldprojects.org/participate/biodiversity-monitoring

𝟐) 𝗪𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐡 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐦: ⁣Since 2012 we have been evaluating parasite richness and prevalence in our study population of tamarins using microscopy and molecular screening techniques. Since then, this program has grown in sophistication, broadened its pathogens of interest, and greatly expanded the taxa from which we sample to include birds, bats, small mammals and rodents. ⁣Participants will learn non-invasive sample collection, wildlife tracking, sample processing and analysis for parasites/pathogens, PCR amplification, nanopore-based sequencing, loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) testing, and more.

Wildlife Health program details: https://fieldprojects.org/participate/wildlife-health

3) 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐓𝐞𝐜𝐡𝐧𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐲 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐦: ⁣We have long collected detailed information on space use, feeding ecology, and social behavior for 2 species of tamarin by tracking animals in person. For this program, though, we have developed custom-built, low-cost GPS micro-collars to monitor their movements, as well as slightly larger devices for mid-sized terrestrial mammals. In addition, we will be deploying smart traps, innovative hair snares, other devices for automated censusing of animals, and more. All will link to a LoRa network in the forest that can pick up small signals from sensors and relay them away from the site to enable remote monitoring.⁣⁣

Conservation Technology program details: https://fieldprojects.org/participate/conservation-technology

𝟒) 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐦: ⁣Participants will join FPI researchers and veterinarians conducting an annual, officially sanctioned capture-release program that began in 2009, and which focuses on 14 groups of saddleback and emperor tamarins.

Primate Monitoring program details: https://fieldprojects.org/participate/wildlife-monitoring

*Our research is sanctioned by the Amazon Conservation Association, the Animal Care Committee of Washington University in St. Louis, and the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry in Perú.

COVID-19 and Our Programs

Field Projects International (FPI) and our partners in Peru are committed to the safety of all program participants, as well as everyone else working or visiting the field station. All will be required to strictly adhere to the PPE and social distancing policies of FPI, Conservación Amazónica, and the Peruvian government. Additional biosafety protocols have also been enhanced, vetted, and adopted for lab work as well as activities in close contact with wildlife. FPI will also require testing and vaccinations before arriving at the field station.

As the pandemic continues to make forecasting public health risks and planning international travel uncertain, FPI will refund all program fees paid by participants (minus a small credit processing fee) if we must cancel a program. Similarly, those who need to withdraw from a program due to a positive COVID-19 test will be refunded the majority of their paid fees (minus the credit/bank processing fees charged to FPI and our partners at Conservación Amazónica in Peru). Additional details about our cancellation policy is available on each program page.

About FPI:

Field Projects International is a nonprofit organization registered in the United States with more than 12 years of experience conducting biological research and educational programming in Peru and other parts of the world. You can follow Field Projects International on Facebook and Instagram.