Genomics in the Jungle Field Course (Peru)

Information FPI

Feb 23, 2022, 1:14:35 PM2/23/22
to Primate-Programs
Field Projects International is currently enrolling students for our 4th annual Genomics in the Jungle field course. This course runs from July 31st to August 14th, 2022, and combines training in molecular research techniques with real-time environmental and arthropod vector sampling at our field site in the Peruvian Amazon.

The field station where we work sits at the edge of a 300,000 hectare conservation concession of intact lowland tropical rainforest, and is equipped with an in-situ genetics laboratory. Course participants will assist experienced field biologists and geneticists in collecting samples and carrying out the full pipeline of DNA extraction, amplification, sequencing, and bioinformatic species identification.

Lecture Topics:
  • Introduction to environmental sampling: water, ground, air
  • Introduction to arthropod vectors and sampling technique: mosquitos, ticks, sand flies, etc.
  • Review of Neotropical vertebrates: birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians
  • A review of wildlife forensics
  • Regional topics in wildlife conservation and environmental health
  • Introduction to genetics and genomics: basis of genetic research, background, and applications
  • Genetic methodologies for field researchers with a focus on portable sequencing
  • Analysis of sequence data: a crash course in bioinformatics
Skills and Training:
  • Forest navigation and use of a compass and GPS
  • Environmental sample collection
  • Biological sample storage
  • DNA tissue extraction, PCR, gel electrophoresis
  • Nanopore sequencing library preparation and multiplexing strategies
  • Nanopore sequence analysis
Program Fee: $2400 for non-Peruvians; $700 for Peruvians living in Peru. Fee includes food and lodging, as well as transportation to the field station from Puerto Maldonado and back. Fee does not include travel to Puerto Maldonado.

Learn more and enroll

Ben Lybarger
Outreach Coordinator