Field Projects International
is currently accepting applications for a new Primate Behavior Research Training Program
for 2022. This field research training program will be held at the Los Amigos Biological Station in Southeastern Peru where we have conducted research for more than a decade. This program focuses on studying the behavior of two Neotropical primates: the emperor and saddleback tamarin.
Learn more and apply:
Program Start Dates (2022):
- August 7th and 21st
- September 4th and 18th
- October 2nd and 16th
- November 6th and 20th
- December 4th and 18th
September 1, 2022, or until all spots are filled.
Skills and Training:
- Comfortably and safely work and move on and off trail systems in a Neotropical rainforest setting.
- Identify tamarin species by sight and sound.
- Conduct full-day behavioral follows of wild primates using focal, scan, and ad-libitum data sampling methods.
- Use radio telemetry equipment to locate tagged individuals and groups.
- Opportunistic collection of fecal and urine samples, including preservation technique.
- Mark feeding trees and collect fruit samples.
- Clean-up and maintain multiple data types in an organized way for subsequent analyses, including:
- Spatial data
- Habitat data
- Behavioral data
- Biological sample metadata.