Field Research Training Opportunity: Biodiversity Monitoring (Peru)

Information FPI

Feb 7, 2021, 5:28:58 PM2/7/21
to Primate-Programs
Field Projects International's 𝐁𝐢𝐨𝐝𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐦 has a single, simple mandate: to conduct large-scale biodiversity screens of mammals in the Madre De Dios region of Peru, which will be used to develop genetic and genomic resources and tools for more targeted population monitoring of focal species in the future.

We will implement site-specific eDNA monitoring protocols as a model for future large-scale monitoring. Samples handled here include water and soil. We will also trial rapid-tests for critical species in specific environments, such as anacondas and giant river otters, and we’ll coordinate morphometric- and DNA barcoding-based species identification for all animals screened by the various other monitoring programs on site. Additional activities will include hair-snare monitoring and multiple bioblitzes for rapid biodiversity inventorying.⁣⁣

Participants will gain the following skills and experience:⁣⁣
  • Field sampling for environmental DNA screening programs⁣⁣
  • GPS navigation training for off-trail navigation⁣⁣
  • Sample biobanking under field conditions⁣⁣
  • Species identification using morphometrics and high-quality photographic imagery⁣⁣
  • Basic laboratory skills including: DNA extraction, PCR amplification, electrophoresis and indexing⁣⁣
  • Advanced laboratory skills including library prep and portable nanopore-based sequencing⁣⁣
  • DNA barcoding, including submission to BOLD databases⁣⁣
  • Bioinformatics pipeline executions for field genomics⁣⁣
  • Sample coordination during field anesthetizations of mid-sized mammals by veterinarians⁣⁣
Program start dates: May 30, June 6, June 13, June 27, July 11, or July 25, and there is a 4-week minimum commitment.

Application Deadline: April 1, 2021

Location: Madre De Dios region, Perú

Program Fee: $1800 for 4 weeks; $450 each additional week (includes food and lodging, transportation to the field station from Puerto Maldonado and back, personalized instruction and use of field equipment).

Pandemic Contingencies: If this program is cancelled by FPI for issues beyond our control, all fees paid will be refunded, minus a 1.5% credit card processing fee.