The University of Washington invites applications for the position of Research Scientist 1 - Trainer, at the Mesa ARIZONA breeding
colony of the Washington National Primate Research Center (WaNPRC).
The primary purpose of this position is to provide the appropriate environment to empower the delivery of leading-edge scientific discoveries and promoting the highest standards of care, health, well-being and conversation for primates around the world. In conjunction with our Mission
Statement, these values link this position to our purpose as a Center:
• Commitment to Research
• Accountability - Productivity
This Research Scientist works as a part of the Behavioral Management Services (BMS) team in ARIZONA to ensure the optimal psychological well-being and behavioral health of our NHPs as guided by the federally required UW Environmental Enhancement Plan. BMS staff also contribute to currently accepted professional standards regarding NHP health and well-being through collaboration, presentations and publications of BMS-related scientific research.
The ability to understand and follow WaNPRC standard operating procedures (SOPs) and specific research protocols is necessary for this position. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are mandatory as the employee will be interacting closely with diverse staff including veterinary, husbandry, and research staff as well as student volunteers.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
• Under the supervision of the Arizona BMS Manager and with the guidance of the Primate Training Manager and the WANPRC BMS Manager conduct the following:
• Train NHPs using operant conditioning and positive reinforcement methods to support voluntary cooperation for a variety of tasks related to standard animal care and well-being
• Train and lead animal resources staff to shape the specific NHP behaviors needed
• Manage primate training requests from staff and respond to requests in a positive and timely manner
• Maintain detailed training records for both staff and NHPs
• Collect and analyze metrics for cost/benefit evaluations, reports and publications
To view a full job description and apply, please view this link (Req.# 207892):
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.