[euler-users] Filesystem Maintenance Nearing Completion

Euler Sysadmin

Jan 2, 2020, 5:40:50 PM1/2/20
to euler...@g-groups.wisc.edu
Hello Euler Users,

I am pleased to say that the rather significant filesystem maintenance I've been working on over the holiday is nearing completion.

The following changes have been implemented:

- All of the users who have contacted me about urgent deadlines have had their data migrated already; these accounts are ready for use and should contact Colin if they have further trouble
- Data corruption from last month's crash is still present, but it is now possible for users to create and remove files and folders
- The foundations are in place for storage quota tracking, so users will soon be able to easily see how much data they have stored
- Filesystem metadata is now stored on a platform with better data stability; this has also led to increased performance for some use cases

All other accounts will be migrated over the coming days using the "update" (-u) mode of the rsync command. This will allow users to connect to Euler and generate new data while their old data continues to be restored. I will notify this mailing list once account migration has reached 100% completion. Please be warned that overwriting a path in which an older file was located will cause the old file to be ignored. Dotfiles such as ~/.bashrc are especially susceptible to this issue, so think carefully before logging in or making changes.

Selected nodes will be returned to service for job scheduling within the next 30 minutes.

Regards,
Colin Vanden Heuvel