[euler-users] Update Progress - Tuesday, Oct. 1

Euler Sysadmin

Oct 1, 2019, 10:44:46 PM10/1/19
to euler...@g-groups.wisc.edu
I have good news for today.

Euler's network filesystem is back online and working better than ever with a shiny new server to handle file metadata. This server won't increase the actual I/O bandwidth, but it should help a lot with the resiliency issues that arise when there are a lot of file creations and deletions going on. In even better news, I expect job scheduling to be available again tomorrow. For those of you whose accounts expired on October 1st, I will be extending your accounts with another two weeks of Euler access to give both myself and your advisors a chance to get the fall maintenance fees squared away.

You can expect two more email blasts from me about these updates, and then I'll finally be able to leave your inbox alone for a while. I've been working a lot of hours to get this update finished in as little time as I can manage, so I appreciate your continued patience and support.

Best,
Colin

Euler Sysadmin

Oct 3, 2019, 10:39:30 PM10/3/19
to euler...@g-groups.wisc.edu
The short version of what I'm about to say is that some nodes are online and job scheduling is active; feel free to start using them.

The longer version is that I've spent the last two days dealing with some of the compatibility issues between CentOS 7 and 8 and I think I've worked out enough of them to make Euler suitable for general use again. I've also invested a fair amount of time into working these changes into the scripts which automate node setup so I can set up the rest of the nodes at least a little bit faster than the ones so far.  For the non-x86 nodes, Arm systems should be back online tomorrow and the IBM POWER nodes should be available either tomorrow or Monday barring any unforeseen problems.

For those of you who have been looking for answers to questions or for a bit of my time, please feel free to reach out again on Monday if you haven't heard from me. If you encounter any problems using Euler, feel free to let me know at that time.

Regards,
Colin