[euler-users] Storage Abuse

Euler Sysadmin

Nov 6, 2019, 8:54:16 PM11/6/19
to euler...@g-groups.wisc.edu
Hello Euler Users,

The storage metadata server seems to be having some problems because one of you decided to write a very large amount of data (on the order of many TB) at once. If your account has more than 2.5TB of stored data and you have not spoken to me to receive permission for excess storage use, I will begin removing excess data at my discretion as early as tomorrow, November 7th.

Many of the running jobs on Euler will have exited with an error because of the meta server problems. While I apologize for the inconvenience this caused, please understand that there isn't a lot I can do about this type of malicious use without impacting your ability to use the cluster. If you need a place to vent your frustrations, you can feel free to blame the unnamed colleague who took it upon themselves to stress test the storage hardware.

Regards,
Colin Vanden Heuvel