assistant needed for Lomas Barbudal Capuchin Monkey Project

Susan Perry

Feb 22, 2022, 9:25:10 PM2/22/22
to Primate-Volunteers

Position Description:

We are seeking a field assistant to come as soon as possible, for a one-year commitment, to assist in data collection for the Lomas Barbudal Capuchin Monkey Project. The project has been running for 32 years, and (funding permitting) will continue for many years to come. Each year we accept about 6 interns who stay a full year and participate in data collection, and further positions will become available in the summer and fall of 2022. The project currently monitors 7 social groups of monkeys. The monkeys are well habituated, and their genetic relationships are known for up to 6 generations, as well as social histories dating back several years in most cases. The primary focus of research during 2022-3 will be the role of alloparents  (and  grandparents  in  particular) in shaping the learning environment  for young capuchins, though we will also be continuing many long-term projects related to life history and cultural evolution. In addition to collecting data, we are actively involved in environmental education in the community, at all age levels, so Spanish speaking applicants should tell us if they are interested in that component of the project. We  also work hard  at educational outreach in the community.

Application instructions and a detailed guide to working on the project are on the following website:

http://lbmp.anthro.ucla.edu/how-to-help/internships/

This website also provides access to some videos about the project.

Please read the detailed guide to working on the monkey project  BEFORE applying or contacting the project, as this will answer virtually all questions. Applicants are also strongly encouraged to read the book "Manipulative Monkeys: The Capuchins of Lomas Barbudal," which is a popular science book documenting not only the first 15 years of scientific research, but the life style of researchers working at this site. The PI (Prof. Susan Perry, UCLA) spends ~4  months/year on site participating in data collection and training of interns, affording a closer working relationship between PI and volunteer than is typical for most field sites.

            Application materials include a CV, college transcripts (unofficial copy of notes/marks/grades in each college class), a letter of application, and contact information for 3 people who can write a letter of reference: (a) an academic mentor, (b) an employer, and (c) someone who has lived with you in a cooperative living situation, preferably in the field (though if this is your first attempt at fieldwork, a college roommate would be fine for this). These materials should be sent to Susan Perry (sperry) @ anthro.ucla.edu, subject heading “Field assistant application.”

Qualifications/Experience:

There are no absolute criteria, and we try to hire people with a blend of different talents. But some traits that help are good grades (>3.3 GPA), some prior Spanish training, and prior experience studying animal behavior and working in the field. Skills in construction (for house repairs), computer maintenance and website design would be nice additional perks but are non-essential. The most important trait in a field assistant is strong work ethic and the ability to make a firm commitment for a year. Please do not apply if you are the sort of person who signs contracts and then backs out, as such behavior is highly damaging to the project (as well as to your own reputation). It is also highly desirable for applicants to have done some reading in primatology (not just websites, but journal articles and books, including some from this project) before applying.

Salary/funding:

None for data collection. However, 1-3 salaried field manager positions (to help with logistics, training of new assistants and data curation) will become available at some point during 2022.  Field site managers will be selected from among the interns, and these people will earn a modest stipend. Please, when you apply, specify the minimum among of financial support you would need in order to be a viable applicant, and state dates of your availability. If financial stress is the only thing keeping you  from applying, we will do our best to help you  find additional funding sources

Support provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals, lodging):

During 2022-23, we will  be able to refund plane fares to the site up to a certain amount, once the year-long commitment is completed.

The project will cover the cost of on-site housing and meals in the project house, though interns must feed themselves when away on vacation and visa trips. The current project house is a lovely hacienda style building on the property of a native tree nursery, in the town of Pijije, next to the Lomas Barbudal Biological Reserve. It has electricity, running (potable) water, and internet. Assistants must buy their own medical insurance (as well as COVID tests and vaccinations) and cover the cost of sundries and personal equipment (boots, clothes, binoculars, backpack); other scientific equipment, snake leggings and COVID masks are provided by the project.

Term of Appointment:

Minimum one year. We currently have a vacancy that we urgently need to fill. We will also need additional assistants in the more distant future, e.g. in summer and fall of 2022.

Application Deadline:

Rolling deadlines: We keep a bank of applications on file to replace people who leave unexpectedly (e.g. due to illness), so if you might want to come at some unspecified time in the future, it’s good to have your application on file so we know you are interested. Please apply  ASAP for the March position, as much paperwork is needed to bring a new research assistant on board.

Comments:

These internships are excellent preparation for graduate school. Interns who finish their terms have always received admission to high quality graduate programs (70 of our past interns have been accepted to graduate school).

Contact Information:

Susan Perry

Dept. of Anthropology, Box 951553, UCLA

Los Angeles, CA 90095-1553

USA

Website:

http://lbmp.anthro.ucla.edu/

http://capuchinfoundation.org

E-mail Address (note that this is by  far the most reliable way to contact us):

spe...@anthro.ucla.edu