Field assistant for 6 months, titi monkeys project in Peruvian Amazon

Sofya Dolotovskaya

Dec 21, 2022, 6:12:23 AM12/21/22
to Primate-Volunteers

Position Summary

I am looking for a volunteer field assistant for a project on dispersal and mate choice in coppery titi monkeys (Plecturocebus cupreus) in Peruvian Amazon. The assistant will help in collecting behavioral and ecological data, collecting fecal samples, and entering data. The project duration is 6 months, March-August 2023. The position is partially funded.

This will be a great opportunity for someone interested in pursuing graduate programs in primatology, animal behavior, or other related fields that involve fieldwork in the tropics, and wishing to gain field work experience. Assistants will be trained in all relevant data collection methods (behavioral sampling, non-invasive sample collection, ecological sampling, etc.) and will get fantastic experience working with well-habituated monkeys in the Amazon rainforest.

About the project

The project investigates natal dispersal and genetic bases of mate choice in pair-living coppery titi monkeys (Plecturocebus cupreus). We have seven main titi monkey groups that are very well-habituated and several semi-habituated groups. Six of the groups have radio-collared individuals. The main study groups are regularly monitored by two local field assistants. During monitoring, we collect data on behavior and diet, and fecal samples. We also monitor the weather and collect phenology data.

About the research station

The Estación Biológica Quebrada Blanco (EBQB) is located in the Peruvian Amazon, ca. 90 km from Iquitos, in the tropical rainforest of the tierra firme-type. The area has a very high diversity of mammals, birds, plants, etc. The camp is remote but comfortable. There are eight bungalows, each for 1-2 persons, a big shared hut, a kitchen with a stove, and a small library/laboratory. There is electricity from solar panels to charge laptops and other devices. We have a flush toilet and a creek at camp that we use for showering. There is no internet or mobile phone connection. We usually spend 3 weeks per month at the station and then return to Iquitos for about a week to rest, get internet access, and buy supplies for the next round.

Assistant's responsibilities

The assistant will help the local field assistants in:

- collecting behavioral data (group scan sampling data, data on duetting and intergroup encounters)

- collecting and managing the storage of fecal samples

- doing phenology monitoring

- entering and managing data

 The first month (February/March) will be dedicated to training and getting to know the study area and the study groups. After I leave mid-March, the assistant will be in camp together with two local field assistants who've been working at the station for more than 20 years and another volunteer assistant who will stay until July. In the summer, a student will join the project.

Dates

Start date: the assistant needs to be in Peru by the beginning of March at the latest, ideally in the middle/end of February already. I will instruct and train the assistant in the field, but I need to leave the station by March 18th.

End date: end of August. This is more flexible and can be negotiated.

 Salary/funding

I will cover food costs for the time spent in camp (ca. $150 per month), monthly trips to and from Iquitos, and camp accommodation fees.

The assistant will have to cover travel costs, the costs of accommodation in Iquitos, and the costs of obtaining health insurance and vaccinations (yellow fever is a must) and personal field clothes.

Gear related to data collection (notebooks, GPS units, flagging tapes, etc) will be provided, except for binoculars and a digital watch with a chronometer.

Applicants are encouraged to apply for travel grants to cover the travel costs (options depend on your country of origin) and will get all the necessary help from me with the applications.

Qualifications/Experience

Most importantly, the applicant should speak Spanish, as the local field assistants with whom they will work don't speak any English.

Applicants should have an undergraduate degree in biology, animal behavior, primatology, or related field. Some kind of previous experience in field work, working outdoors, camping, preferably in a developing country, is also necessary. Strong interest in animal behavior and field work is presumed.

Field work can be both physically and mentally demanding and is not suited for everyone. At times, field work can be stressful, extremely boring (when the monkeys rest for 3+ hours straight), and isolating. The climate is very hot and humid, the terrain can be muddy and dense, there are nasty bugs around, etc. There is not much personal space, and no communication with the outside world during 3-week shift. So this position is for someone wishing to get field research experience; if your goal is something else this position is probably not for you.

 Overall, the applicants should be:

- in good physical and mental condition

- able to work in a very hot and humid environment

- able to work with a small team of people for long periods of time

- open to communicating with people to solve problems

- be emotionally mature and patient and have a sense of humor

- not to be afraid of bugs or being alone in the forest

- fell comfortable with not having a lot of personal space and being far away from friends, family, and "normal" life

Other

Assistants are encouraged to work with us on coauthoring papers based on the data they assist in collecting. Opportunities for developing a project for a bachelor/master thesis or further collaboration can also be discussed.

How to apply

To apply, please email me the following documents in a single PDF file:

1. A letter of interest describing why you are applying for this position, how this opportunity fits your ambitions and plans. Please include dates you are available. Feel free to include any other information that might be relevant.

2. CV including relevant education and previous field/outdoor experience.

3. Email of 1-2 referees (your supervisors or professors).

Feel free to contact me before applying if you have any questions about the project.

 Contact

Sofya Dolotovskaya, s.dolot...@gmail.com