Build system links

acri...@mozilla.com

Aug 20, 2017, 1:22:20 AM8/20/17
to rust-fuchsia

It was great seeing a few of you at RustConf! Sorry I didn't get a chance to catch up after and sorry I wasn't able to meet everyone! I hope next time I'm in the Bay Area I'll be able to meet up with everyone again :)

I promised a few of you links to build system related threads, so wanted to make sure y'all've got all those links. The overall "Rust Roadmap" issue is located at https://github.com/rust-lang/rust-roadmap/issues/12 with the two primary issues hanging off Cargo being:

My guess is you'd be most interested in the build plan issue, as would many others! We're still working out a concrete design in this space but we'll be sure to keep those issues updated. An engineer at Mozilla on Gecko has created https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/pull/4357 as a proof of concept, but it's likely to evolve before it lands so you may be interested in following that as well.

I'd also recommend commenting and such on those threads, as that way other Cargo team folks will be sure to see them!

Again, great to meet y'all at RustConf, and hope to see you again soon!

Doug Evans

Aug 30, 2017, 4:54:13 PM8/30/17
to acri...@mozilla.com, rust-fuchsia
I wish I could have made it. Hope to see you next time.

One thing I'm glad to see in rust-roadmap/issues/12 is people advocating for all external dependencies to be resolved before the build begins.

Tim Kilbourn

Sep 1, 2017, 7:22:06 PM9/1/17
to Doug Evans, Alex Crichton, rust-fuchsia
Pull request for the build system RFC: https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/2136

We (Fuchsia) should read over it carefully and work with Alex and others to ensure our uses are covered.

James Tucker

Sep 5, 2017, 4:29:36 PM9/5/17
to Tim Kilbourn, Doug Evans, Alex Crichton, rust-fuchsia
The first thing that comes to mind, though it could be orthogonal, was a recent experience with one of the GL packages.

It was using a binary built by cargo in a code generation macro, and failed to work correctly for cross builds. This kind of thing would also be very difficult to adjust for in build integrations - you'd need to declare the dependency explicitly and inject the path somehow other than $OUT_DIR.