Rust version and stable vs. nightly

Rob Tsuk

Aug 1, 2017, 1:33:59 PM8/1/17
to rust-f...@fuchsia.com
I'm guessing it make sense for all of us to be using the same version of Rust. Right now I think that means 1.19. I also think we want to be using stable rather than nightly?

Taylor Cramer

Aug 1, 2017, 1:38:24 PM8/1/17
to Rob Tsuk, rust-f...@fuchsia.com
Once generator support lands in nightly, it might be interesting to do some experimentation with async-await. For everything else, we should be able to use stable just fine.

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 10:33 AM, 'Rob Tsuk' via rust-fuchsia <rust-f...@fuchsia.com> wrote:
I'm guessing it make sense for all of us to be using the same version of Rust. Right now I think that means 1.19. I also think we want to be using stable rather than nightly?

Raph Levien

Aug 1, 2017, 1:42:21 PM8/1/17
to Taylor Cramer, Rob Tsuk, rust-f...@fuchsia.com
We are currently using a handful of non-stable features, I believe the inline asm for the crash hook. I guess the other discussion is how eagerly to adopt impl Trait, as it will affect fidl performance. I've skimmed some of the relevant RFC's (like 1951) but don't have a super-clear picture of the timeline of when the full version will be stable.

Other than that, I'm a fan of stable.

Raph

Taylor Cramer

Aug 1, 2017, 1:53:28 PM8/1/17
to raph....@gmail.com, Rob Tsuk, rust-f...@fuchsia.com
`impl Trait` in traits is going to be blocked until I can get 2071 merged-- hopefully before the impl period starts in September. Even then, implementing it is blocked on the trait system revamp, so I wouldn't expect it to be usable on stable until... March or later?

`impl Trait` in free functions should be sooner-- I'm mostly through implementing the new changes to parameter capture, but I got sidetracked by all the discussion on the "extern crate" RFC. Once that lands in nightly, we'll probably want at least a cycle to experiment and bugfix, and then the usual 12 weeks to stabilize. So, I'd expect to see that on stable around the end of December or beginning of the year. I have a meeting with aturon on Friday-- I can check in with him and see if we can nail down a more precise schedule.

Taylor Cramer

Aug 1, 2017, 1:56:09 PM8/1/17
to raph....@gmail.com, Rob Tsuk, rust-f...@fuchsia.com
(all of this is super speculative of course)

Rob Tsuk

Aug 1, 2017, 2:14:50 PM8/1/17
to Taylor Cramer, raph....@gmail.com, rust-f...@fuchsia.com
To summarize, right now anything anyone commits should compile with 1.19 stable. If one wants to experiment with features only in nightly, put those experiments behind feature flags.

We need to come up with some solution for getting a backtrace that is compatible with stable.

James Tucker

Aug 1, 2017, 10:02:33 PM8/1/17
to raph....@gmail.com, Taylor Cramer, Rob Tsuk, rust-f...@fuchsia.com
Are unions in stable?