PSA: Support for handle in FIDL is being removed, use zx.handle instead

Felix Zhu

May 13, 2021, 4:51:24 PM5/13/21
to fidl...@fuchsia.dev

tl;dr: the built-in handle type in FIDL is being removed in favor of zx.handle. No action required on your part - remaining usages are being converted and I will update this thread when this is complete.

Instead of using handle:

library example;

struct HasHandle {

  handle my_handle;

};

You should import library zx and use zx.handle instead:

library example;

using zx;

struct HasHandle {

  zx.handle my_handle;

};

Work for this has been ongoing - currently, handle is disallowed if there are any subtypes or rights specified (e.g. handle:CHANNEL is not allowed and zx.handle:CHANNEL must be used instead), but is allowed otherwise (e.g. as handle or handle?). We are in the process of completing this migration so that the latter becomes disallowed as well.