Fwd: [LocalStorage Team] RFC: OTA Backstop

Zach Kirschenbaum

Feb 12, 2021, 11:03:40 AM2/12/21
to eng-c...@fuchsia.dev, Dan Johnson, James Sullivan, Adam Barth, Kevin Wells
Good morning,

I am following the new RFC process for the Ota Backstop RFC. Nearing the end of step 3: Iterate.

Stakeholders that have provided feedback:

Thoughts on these stakeholders? I am wondering if we should solicit feedback from Managed OS to confirm how this will interact with stepping stones.

Feb 12, 2021, 7:58:14 PM2/12/21
to Zach Kirschenbaum, eng-c...@fuchsia.dev, Dan Johnson, James Sullivan, Kevin Wells
Do we need a stakeholder from security?  From the document, it sounds like the primary use case is during the development phase, which could mean we don't need a security stakeholder.

What about infrastructure?  Does this affect how we manage devices in CI?

Adam

Zach Kirschenbaum

Feb 16, 2021, 3:39:16 PM2/16/21
to James Sullivan, Adam Barth, Allison Pearce, Erick Tryzelaar, Anthony Fandrianto, eng-c...@fuchsia.dev, Dan Johnson, Kevin Wells
thanks, James! That's useful framing so I added it to the "motivation" section.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 2:52 PM James Sullivan <jfsu...@google.com> wrote:
Although it's a good idea to include all relevant stakeholders, it's also important to note that this proposal doesn't change which OTA sequences are supported and which are not. It just makes this support explicit.

Without this proposal, attempting to backwards-OTA across an incompatible boundary will cause problems when you attempt to boot the device (e.g. the filesystem format might not be supported by the driver). With this proposal, you'd find out about this before you do the OTA (and the error will be much clearer), which just makes things easier for everyone. :)

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 11:33 AM Zach Kirschenbaum <zkb...@google.com> wrote:
Do we need a stakeholder from security?  From the document, it sounds like the primary use case is during the development phase, which could mean we don't need a security stakeholder.
This matches my understanding. Just in case, I'll add on +Allison Pearce, who is the go-to security consultant for SWD.

What about infrastructure?  Does this affect how we manage devices in CI?
My initial thoughts are this should not affect how we manage devices in CI. I just added a patchset explaining how this interacts with the OTA e2e tests. Adding on +Erick Tryzelaar (SWD) and +Anthony Fandrianto (Infra) just in case.

Let me know if there's anything else we need to move this to the "last call" phase.

--
Zach Kirschenbaum
Pronouns: he/him

Zach Kirschenbaum

James Sullivan

Feb 16, 2021, 3:39:16 PM2/16/21
to Zach Kirschenbaum, Adam Barth, Allison Pearce, Erick Tryzelaar, Anthony Fandrianto, eng-c...@fuchsia.dev, Dan Johnson, Kevin Wells
Although it's a good idea to include all relevant stakeholders, it's also important to note that this proposal doesn't change which OTA sequences are supported and which are not. It just makes this support explicit.

Without this proposal, attempting to backwards-OTA across an incompatible boundary will cause problems when you attempt to boot the device (e.g. the filesystem format might not be supported by the driver). With this proposal, you'd find out about this before you do the OTA (and the error will be much clearer), which just makes things easier for everyone. :)

Zach Kirschenbaum

Feb 17, 2021, 3:55:24 PM2/17/21
to eng-c...@fuchsia.dev, Adam Barth, James Sullivan, Allison Pearce, Erick Tryzelaar, Anthony Fandrianto, Dan Johnson, Kevin Wells
Eng council -- would it be possible to move this to "last call"?

Zach

James Robinson

Feb 17, 2021, 4:51:58 PM2/17/21
to Zach Kirschenbaum, eng-c...@fuchsia.dev, Adam Barth, James Sullivan, Allison Pearce, Erick Tryzelaar, Anthony Fandrianto, Dan Johnson, Kevin Wells
Yes, definitely.

This RFC is now in "Last call" and will be open until 2021-02-23 for last comments and feedback. Stakeholders are encouraged to leave feedback on the review and express their support of (or objection to) the RFC by setting the Code-Review flag to +1 (or -1, as the case may be).

- James

--
All posts must follow the Fuchsia Code of Conduct https://fuchsia.dev/fuchsia-src/CODE_OF_CONDUCT or may be removed.
---

Zach Kirschenbaum

Feb 17, 2021, 5:21:23 PM2/17/21
to James Robinson, eng-c...@fuchsia.dev, Adam Barth, James Sullivan, Allison Pearce, Erick Tryzelaar, Anthony Fandrianto, Dan Johnson, Kevin Wells
thank you, James! I'll signal boost this on the original thread.

James Robinson

Feb 24, 2021, 2:37:06 PM2/24/21
to Zach Kirschenbaum, eng-c...@fuchsia.dev, Adam Barth, James Sullivan, Allison Pearce, Erick Tryzelaar, Anthony Fandrianto, Dan Johnson, Kevin Wells
This RFC is now accepted as RFC-0071. Congrats!

- James on behalf of FEC