Issue 94117 in fuchsia: "Link to this revision" on fuchsia.dev

hjfre… via monorail

Feb 18, 2022, 9:58:48 AM2/18/22
to eng-c...@fuchsia.dev
Owner: nickv...@google.com
CC: eng-c...@fuchsia.dev
Components: Documentation
type: Enhancement

New issue 94117 by hjfr...@google.com: "Link to this revision" on fuchsia.dev
https://bugs.fuchsia.dev/p/fuchsia/issues/detail?id=94117

Documentation on fuchsia.dev should have a button somewhere on each page that says something like, "Link to this revision of this page". Clicking it would give the user a stable URL that will always show the page as it was at that moment, even as the page gets updated over time.

Ideally, any links _from_ that page to other parts of fuchsia.dev would also be shown at the same revision.

# Motivation

RFCs are intended to be point-in-time documents that don't change after their acceptance. However, RFCs frequently link to other pages on fuchsia.dev that _are_ intended to evolve over time. That means that future readers of an RFC may follow a link and see something different than what the stakeholders who approved the RFC saw. Or they may even get a 404.

If we had an easy way to link to documentation at a point in time, we could avoid those problems by setting a policy that RFCs should always link to a specific revision.

1. You were specifically CC'd on the issue

https://bugs.fuchsia.dev/hosting/settings

leegr… via monorail

Jan 10, 2023, 2:43:46 AM1/10/23
to eng-c...@fuchsia.dev
Updates:
Labels: docs-wishlist Pri-3

Comment #1 on issue 94117 by leeg...@google.com: "Link to this revision" on fuchsia.dev
https://bugs.fuchsia.dev/p/fuchsia/issues/detail?id=94117#c1

Nick, has this been worked on?

mkear… via monorail

Nov 30, 2023, 4:14:18 PM11/30/23
to eng-c...@fuchsia.dev
Updates:

Comment #4 on issue 94117 by mkea...@google.com: "Link to this revision" on fuchsia.dev
https://bugs.fuchsia.dev/p/fuchsia/issues/detail?id=94117#c4

We've narrowed the scope of enhancements we can make to fuchsia.dev infrastructure, so closing this issue. Feel free to re-open if it feels very important.