Vim3 USB Power

Ruby Zhuang

Mar 5, 2021, 2:03:01 PM3/5/21
to drive...@fuchsia.dev
Hi everyone!

TLDR; If you're developing on Vim3, make sure the USB port supplying power to your Vim3 can draw up to 24 W.

I recently enabled DVFS on Vim3, which may cause the device to draw more power (up to 24 W) while under heavy load. If you are bus-powering your VIM3 from a USB-A port, ensure the port can supply up to 24W of power (or up to 4.8A of drive current).  Otherwise, you can disable DVFS (and the temperature sensors) by commenting out ThermalInit() here: https://cs.opensource.google/fuchsia/fuchsia/+/master:src/devices/board/drivers/vim3/vim3.cc;l=137

Thanks,
Ruby

Suraj Malhotra

Mar 5, 2021, 2:20:57 PM3/5/21
to Ruby Zhuang, drive...@fuchsia.dev
If we expect some folks to necessarily disable this feature often, we should consider adding a GN arg to do it or a kernel arg, rather than have folks modify the source.

What is the expected maximum power draw with DVFS disabled? Also I've noticed we don't have a vim3 page on fuchsia.dev, should we add one and note this information on it so it doesn't get lost in the void?

--
All posts must follow the Fuchsia Code of Conduct https://fuchsia.dev/fuchsia-src/CODE_OF_CONDUCT or may be removed.
---

Sam Hansen

Mar 5, 2021, 2:22:53 PM3/5/21
to Suraj Malhotra, Ruby Zhuang, drive...@fuchsia.dev
Prior to the DVFS stuff, I had been powering the board from a 900mA
hub port without issue. I'm unsure of what the out-of-reset power
profile is though.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/fuchsia.dev/d/msgid/drivers-dev/CAFFy6-C-z9WvSHqbODQ8wmTrN4szKGGRhjMGxGKWPCW%3Du7Czyg%40mail.gmail.com.

Curtis Galloway

Mar 5, 2021, 2:52:32 PM3/5/21
to Sam Hansen, Suraj Malhotra, Ruby Zhuang, drive...@fuchsia.dev
The VIM3 can detect the characteristics of the power supply I believe, so I think this is an interesting use case for figuring out how to propagate that information through our power management system appropriately.  This is getting more common so will be a good pattern to support.

I captured this in fxb/71610 – Ruby, could you do a little research on how the power interface works?

--Curtis

Ruby Zhuang

Mar 5, 2021, 2:59:48 PM3/5/21
to Curtis Galloway, Sam Hansen, Suraj Malhotra, drive...@fuchsia.dev
Ok! Will look into it. And figure out how to add a GN arg!

Allan MacKinnon

Mar 5, 2021, 3:07:57 PM3/5/21
to Ruby Zhuang, Curtis Galloway, Sam Hansen, Suraj Malhotra, drive...@fuchsia.dev
Just in case it was missed, I saw Khadas made some changes in V13 of the VIM3 (Nov. 2020):

Message has been deleted

Curtis Galloway

May 1, 2021, 12:42:42 PM5/1/21
to drivers-dev, Allan MacKinnon, Curtis Galloway, Sam Hansen, Suraj Malhotra, drive...@fuchsia.dev, Ruby Zhuang
Looks like they increased the USB port current and fixed the problem of blowing up the board if you connect both VIN and USB.  Ruby, you might want to get a few v13 boards for comparison.  --Curtis