Help test structured logging backend for drivers

Christopher Johnson

Mar 5, 2021, 12:17:51 PM3/5/21
to drive...@fuchsia.dev, Shai Barack, Brian Bosak

Hi Driver developers,

The Diagnostics team is planning to switch drivers over to the new structured logging backend, and we would like your help!

If you primarily work on drivers or use the bringup product, please help us test our proposed change:

  1. Cherrypick https://fuchsia-review.googlesource.com/c/fuchsia/+/481883

  2. Turn off the devmgrlog-to-debuglog flag (if you use the bringup product).

We are doing this to eventually delete the legacy logging backend so that all C++ components send structured key/value pairs in their logs. This will unlock efficiency improvements and better filtering/extraction of data from logs.

If you run into any unexpected problems with this code cherry-picked, please file a bug here. Examples of the kind of issues we are looking for are:

  • Logs are missing

  • Logs are out of order

  • The text format of the log is not what you expect (data reordered, too verbose)

  • Tools you use to process logs break due to the change

Thank you,

Chris

Puneetha Ramachandra

Mar 11, 2021, 4:16:00 PM3/11/21
to drivers-dev, Christopher Johnson, Shai Barack, Brian Bosak

Just tested the changes (patchset 07) and they work fine for core.x64 and bringup.x64. Also ran some driver tests in core build, and log behavior is same as before.

Christopher Johnson

Mar 11, 2021, 5:28:50 PM3/11/21
to Puneetha Ramachandra, drivers-dev, Shai Barack, Brian Bosak
Thank you for the feedback, Puneetha!

We plan to submit the CL later today.