Re: GOMA access to build fuchsia

Shai Barack

Nov 11, 2021, 11:41:49 AM11/11/21
to Marc-Antoine Ruel, 3323 Kumari Palak, discuss
We don't have a public distributed build cluster at this point. However if your institution is able to provide one then you can look into how we've hooked up the Goma client (gomacc) for C/C++ builds or the RBE client (reclient) for Rust builds and draw inspiration from that.

Fuchsia is slow to build on a local machine without a build cluster, but it is doable. I would suggest setting aside some time for a first checkout and a first full build, and then performing incremental builds when making changes.

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021, 8:03 AM Marc-Antoine Ruel <mar...@google.com> wrote:
Everyone to bcc.

Please do not send emails directly to 20 team members. That is not helping. Please use the public mailing lists.

Goma is not currently available to external parties. We are investigating ways to make Fuchsia more inclusive but we do not have anything to communicate at the moment.

The best way to work on Fuchsia is going to be through the SDK which is under active development.
We just approved the Out-of-tree Bazel SDK RFC as RFC 139 at https://fxrev.dev/560368 and great progress is being done in this area.

Thanks,

M-A

Le jeu. 11 nov. 2021, à 09 h 23, 3323 Kumari Palak <kumaripa...@gmail.com> a écrit :

Hello,

I am Kumari Palak, junior student at Army Institute of technology, Pune, India. My team and I have a keen interest in fuchsia OS. We want to contribute to the future of Operating systems by contributing to Fuchsia OS.

For the same, we have tried to build Fuchsia in our local machine and found out that our machines were too slow and it is difficult to build Fuchsia on our local machine. This is hindering our development process. We found out about GOMA, if you could help us to get the GOMA access then that would be a huge help for all of us and will speed up the process of Development.

Hoping you will help us in getting the access, looking forward to contributing to fuchsia OS.

Regards

Kumari Palak

Marc-Antoine Ruel

Nov 22, 2021, 11:58:52 AM11/22/21
to 3323 Kumari Palak, dis...@fuchsia.dev, Shai Barack, Pascal Perez, Omer Lev-ran, Claudio Cherubino

I agree it is a good idea to use a powerful remote machine to do builds and retrieve the build outputs to use locally. This is effectively what some people do. You do not need anything special to get started, you can follow the instructions at https://fuchsia.dev/fuchsia-src/get-started via SSH on the VM.

I'm less familiar with transfering files back to be able to run the image locally in an emulator because it's not something I personally do. I added Omer who may be able to give you a quick set of commands to get you started to run the emulator locally.

Google Compute Engine (GCE) has VMs in Mumbai (asia-south1) which should provide low latency. 😉

Have you talked to your school's Google Developer Student Club?

M-A

Le lun. 22 nov. 2021, à 04 h 10, 3323 Kumari Palak <kumaripa...@gmail.com> a écrit :

Hello,

I am overwhelmed by your response. I understand that Goma is not available for non-googlers, but this is causing hindrance while contributing to Fuchsia. So, I want to solve this problem by building a script to be run on an AWS server.

Could you please help me with that?

I have studied and found out to write in the following ways:

Prototype 1:

1. Uploads the code to remote powerful server.

2. Builds the code like it would run on any server; some shell scripting

3. Returns the binary/build/excitable

Good to have:

A cache of OS on a remote server, upload only changes between commits

it would be very helpful for me as I can contribute to fuchsia.

Regards Palak