Can't proceed past Gigaboot (on Intel NUC7)

Ron Even

May 24, 2021, 3:18:06 AM5/24/21
to discuss

Hi

I'm trying to install Fuchsia on an Intel NUC7CJYH.

I've built everything both in workstation and core modes, and on macOS and on Ubuntu, but no matter what I encounter this same screen when plugging in the USB flash drive created by fx mkzedboot.

As far as I understand Zedboot is the next stage after Gigaboot, but I can't seem to pass it. I do see it complains about many errors, but don't know how to solve them, as I did everything exactly like the guides say (and even bought NUC7 especially to make sure it works...).

This is what the screen shows (sorry for the somewhat bad quality)

eqhfhy2ngt071.jpg

EDIT: After some trial and error, I found:

fx make-fuchsia-vol

that probably worked better, and now looks like the partitions are there:

67fj8a8tcu071.jpg

However, it still doesn't boot (I tried all slots and the result is the same, just with the corresponding letter...)

I hope someone can help me understand what's the problem

Thanks

James Tucker

May 24, 2021, 12:19:51 PM5/24/21
to Ron Even, discuss
It looks like the kernel has started to boot, but you have no display.

--
All posts must follow the Fuchsia Code of Conduct https://fuchsia.dev/fuchsia-src/CODE_OF_CONDUCT or may be removed.
---

Alex Legg

May 24, 2021, 8:59:10 PM5/24/21
to discuss, James Tucker, discuss, Ron Even, Craig Stout
Hi Ron,

I think your GPU is 'Intel UHD Graphics 600' (device ID 0x3185.) Craig might be able to help you determine if it's supported or if there's a way to get it working.

If you have a way to get logs out of the device either via serial (fx serial) or over the network (fx log) that might help.

Alex

Craig Stout

May 25, 2021, 3:26:09 AM5/25/21
to Alex Legg, discuss, James Tucker, Ron Even
That appears to be a Gemini Lake chip, one of the older low power variants from Intel and there are likely some graphics driver incompatibilities vs the supported Kaby Lake/Amber Lake.

A while ago we discussed, but did not move forward with adding support for the generation previous to Gemini Lake with HD Graphics 500.

So unfortunately I don't think there is a quick fix to get working graphics on this hardware.

-craig

Ron Even

May 25, 2021, 9:13:01 AM5/25/21
to discuss, Craig Stout, discuss, James Tucker, Ron Even, Alex Legg
Thank you very much, I also checked and it seems that my NUC really has Intel UHD Graphics 600.
Can you tell me which exact NUC model I need so that it will surely work? (Or if there is a better, maybe more compatible alternative?)
Thanks

Gabriel Kerneis

May 25, 2021, 10:44:36 AM5/25/21
to Ron Even, discuss, Craig Stout, James Tucker, Alex Legg

Craig Stout

May 25, 2021, 12:55:24 PM5/25/21
to Gabriel Kerneis, Ron Even, discuss, James Tucker, Alex Legg
To surely work, pick a NUC with graphics listed in the device_id.h file.

-craig

Erick Tryzelaar

May 25, 2021, 3:55:26 PM5/25/21
to discuss, Craig Stout, Ron Even, discuss, James Tucker, Alex Legg, Gabriel Kerneis
Hello Ron,

To add on to others, I looked through our documentation, and it's pretty easy to miss that we only support a subset of NUC7 devices. I've filed https://fuchsia-review.googlesource.com/c/fuchsia/+/534722 to make sure others don't encounter the same problem as you.

Justin Mattson

May 25, 2021, 5:13:17 PM5/25/21
to Erick Tryzelaar, discuss, Craig Stout, Ron Even, James Tucker, Alex Legg, Gabriel Kerneis
The NUC7i3DNHE seems to contain the Core i3-7100U which contains HD Graphics 620 identified by 0x5916 according to wikichip and that appears on the device_id file. I think this is probably the lowest end, support device according to the docs I can find.

Ron Even

May 25, 2021, 5:58:45 PM5/25/21
to discuss, Justin Mattson, discuss, Craig Stout, Ron Even, James Tucker, Alex Legg, Gabriel Kerneis, Erick Tryzelaar
Thank you so much for the help. I'm amazed at your high availability and efficiency.
Just to make sure I don't spend more money for nothing, NUC8i3BEH should be good right?
Thanks again for all the help, you're great!

Craig Stout

May 25, 2021, 6:20:06 PM5/25/21
to Ron Even, discuss, Justin Mattson, James Tucker, Alex Legg, Gabriel Kerneis, Erick Tryzelaar
For the NUC8i3BEH - we added support for Iris® Plus Graphics 655 (0x3EA5) based on a 3rd party contribution, so I assume it works.  However a Kaby Lake NUC7 like the one Justin suggested would be a safer choice.

Ron Even

May 27, 2021, 9:55:24 AM5/27/21
to discuss, Craig Stout, discuss, Justin Mattson, James Tucker, Alex Legg, Gabriel Kerneis, Erick Tryzelaar, Ron Even
One last thing, the processor itself doesn't matter right? If I take NUC7i5DNHE and not NUC7i3DNHE it should still be fine
Thanks

Justin Mattson

May 27, 2021, 12:46:55 PM5/27/21
to Ron Even, discuss, Craig Stout, James Tucker, Alex Legg, Gabriel Kerneis, Erick Tryzelaar
The processor* matters very much actually. This is because with these systems there is an integrated GPU, which is to say the CPU and GPU are on the same module. According to Intel, this has an i5-7300U, which has a HD Graphics 620, which according to wikichip a slightly higher clocked version of the same GPU in the i3-7100U, so it is compatible.

*By processor I'm taking the assumption that you mean the system-on-a-chip (SoC), which combines a number of different components into a single unit. In this case there is a Core i5-7300 CPU combined with an Intel HD Graphics 620 and a number of other things I'm not smart enough to know about.

Ron Even

Jun 8, 2021, 4:24:41 PM6/8/21
to discuss, Justin Mattson, discuss, Craig Stout, James Tucker, Alex Legg, Gabriel Kerneis, Erick Tryzelaar, Ron Even
Hey, sorry for the latency.
Do you have a recommendation of a machine that will surely work with Fuchsia and is probably available for purchase?
I couldn't find the models you suggested as they are quite outdated.
I don't mind too much about the price or the architecture (I need the machine especially and exclusively for Fuchsia)
I really appreciate your help! Thanks!

Alex Legg

Jun 8, 2021, 10:05:10 PM6/8/21
to Ron Even, discuss, Justin Mattson, Craig Stout, James Tucker, Gabriel Kerneis, Erick Tryzelaar
It looks like there is some discussion here about changing the documentation: https://fuchsia-review.googlesource.com/c/fuchsia/+/534722

Copying what Justin commented here:
---

Crucially I think this is almost all of the "NUC Kit with 7th Generation Intel Core Processors" and most of the "NUC Kit with 8th Generation Intel Core Processors", but NOT "Intel NUC Kit with Intel Celeron Processors", which is what the poster on the list has.
---

Based on Intel's status field, the models listed there that are not "discontinued" are:

Justin, can you confirm that I've enumerated that correctly?

Alex
--
Alex

Justin Mattson

Jun 8, 2021, 10:37:02 PM6/8/21
to Alex Legg, Ron Even, discuss, Craig Stout, James Tucker, Gabriel Kerneis, Erick Tryzelaar
Yes, that's right. I think some or all of the 8i are covered under the contributed code that Craig mentioned.

Ron Even

Jun 26, 2021, 12:25:39 PM6/26/21
to discuss, Justin Mattson, Ron Even, discuss, Craig Stout, James Tucker, Gabriel Kerneis, Erick Tryzelaar, Alex Legg
Just wanted to let you know that I bought the NUC8i3BEHS and now it works
Thank you very much for all the help!