[components][rust] fuchsia_component method rename

Adam Lesinski

Apr 30, 2021, 2:42:30 AM4/30/21
to component-framework-dev, rust-...@fuchsia.dev
If you don't write components in Rust, you can skip reading this email.

TL;DR: The `connect_to_service` family of methods in the `fuchsia_component` crate are being renamed to `connect_to_protocol`.

FIDL has been using the term protocol for a while now, and the term "service" has been reserved for what was originally known as "unified services".

This change, along with follow up changes, will bring the Rust component client libraries in-line with FIDL terminology.

Other languages will follow soon.

Abdulla Kamar

Apr 30, 2021, 3:45:56 AM4/30/21
to Adam Lesinski, component-framework-dev, rust-...@fuchsia.dev
Thank you so much for doing this! :D

--
All posts must follow the Fuchsia Code of Conduct https://fuchsia.dev/fuchsia-src/CODE_OF_CONDUCT or may be removed.
---

Justin Mattson

Apr 30, 2021, 12:42:28 PM4/30/21
to Abdulla Kamar, Adam Lesinski, component-framework-dev, rust-...@fuchsia.dev
Woohoo! This is awesome, this has bugged me for quite a while as I try to keep "protocols" and "services" differentiated in my mind.

Adam Lesinski

Apr 30, 2021, 12:43:31 PM4/30/21
to Mitchell Kember, Abdulla Kamar, component-framework-dev, rust-...@fuchsia.dev
I could use some help with this, as I will be OOO for the next few weeks. If you have the energy to help make the change in the fidl crate, that would be great!

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 9:41 AM Mitchell Kember <mke...@google.com> wrote:
Hi Adam,

Are you planning to make changes in the Rust FIDL bindings as well?

We use "service name" a lot in src/lib/fidl/rust/fidl/src/endpoints.rs where I think it really should be "protocol name". This also came up here:

I'm happy to help with this.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "rust-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/fuchsia.dev/d/msgid/rust-users/CAH%2Bq2nwCXgsd%2BWEcSnRzhJDsqqvk174%2Bu1q86O-Z1fZNcAaReA%40mail.gmail.com.

Mitchell Kember

Mitchell Kember

Apr 30, 2021, 12:56:43 PM4/30/21
to Adam Lesinski, Abdulla Kamar, component-framework-dev, rust-...@fuchsia.dev
I could use some help with this, as I will be OOO for the next few weeks. If you have the energy to help make the change in the fidl crate, that would be great!

Sure, I can do it. Filed https://bugs.fuchsia.dev/p/fuchsia/issues/detail?id=75869 to track.

Mitchell Kember

Jul 22, 2021, 9:08:47 PM7/22/21
to Adam Lesinski, Abdulla Kamar, component-framework-dev, rust-...@fuchsia.dev
Update: I'm now working on the protocol/service rename for FIDL Rust (fxr/559038), and hope to land it tomorrow or on the weekend.

Mitchell Kember

Aug 16, 2021, 4:52:07 PM8/16/21
to rust-users, Mitchell Kember, Abdulla Kamar, component-framework-dev, rust-...@fuchsia.dev, Adam Lesinski
The last update was about renaming "service" to "protocol" in the FIDL Rust traits.

I'm now landing the next step, renaming "unified service" to simply "service", in fxr/569501. Let me know if you have any concerns.