Adding a Testing area to the API Council

Christopher Johnson

Jun 8, 2023, 5:57:39 PM6/8/23
to api-council
Hello API Council,

I would like to propose adding a "Testing" functional area to the API Council Charter. This new area will cover both APIs related to executing tests on devices (i.e. Test Manager and related APIs) as well as APIs involved in the authorship of tests (i.e. new frameworks for writing certain types of tests).

I believe Testing meets the criteria for a new area as follows:

Coverage. Is this area already covered by one of the other areas, or is there a gap?
Individual teams review their own APIs for testability, but there is no functional area covering the Testing Platform or frameworks.

Scope. Is this area sufficiently large to warrant a dedicated appointee?
Yes, current work on the testing architecture involves API work that cannot adequately be covered by just myself.

Consistent need.. Has the need to have this as an area arisen before?

Yes, reviews for Test Manager FIDLs and other testing-related framework APIs have required review for some time. The volume of these reviews will continue to increase.

Please let me know what you all think of this proposal.

Thank you,
Chris

Hunter Freyer

Jun 22, 2023, 10:48:41 AM6/22/23
to Christopher Johnson, api-council
</major-lag>

Hey Chris! I think this would be a totally appropriate addition to the set of API Council areas. I haven't heard any objections here, so I'll proceed on the assumption that the rest of the council is on board.

Who do you have in mind as the Primary for this area? This could be you, or someone else already on the API Council, or a potential new member that meets the criteria from the Charter:
  • Good judgement about the quality and long-term health of APIs, either within Fuchsia or in their past work with other platforms.
  • Strong communication and collaboration skills, as viewed by API designers (i.e., their collaborators).
You can also nominate a Secondary, if you'd like, though it's not required.

Thanks,
Hunter