Proposal: API promotion "sponsors"

Hunter Freyer

Oct 10, 2023, 10:14:34 AM10/10/23
to api-council
Hey all,

In an effort to make the operations of the API Council less reliant on me specifically, I'd like to institute a policy that each promotion of an API atom to "partner" or "partner_internal" should have a "sponsor" on the API Council. By default this would be the API Council member most familiar with the API, who has been doing API reviews during its development.

My responsibility will be to identify a sponsor for each potential addition to the IDK, and it will be the responsibility of the sponsor to organize the API Calibration. Obviously I'm here to help out with any questions/issues that arise.

Relatedly, I'm looking to make some improvements to the API calibration process, but before announcing any formal plan, I'd like to run some experiments with the next few calibrations. I'll work out the details with the sponsors on a case-by-case basis.

(The short version is: rather than a single API calibration meeting with the whole council but spotty attendance, do smaller discussion groups with the API owner, the sponsor, and a couple API council members selected randomly.)

I'll start assigning sponsors to APIs as they come in, so this email is more a "heads up" than anything else. If anyone has any objections, let me know!

Thanks,
Hunter

Christopher Anderson

Oct 10, 2023, 10:51:27 AM10/10/23
to Hunter Freyer, api-council
This seems like a reasonable idea, and would likely help smooth out the process for folks making the requests.

Wez

Oct 18, 2023, 9:24:27 AM10/18/23
to Christopher Anderson, Hunter Freyer, api-council