IDK standards Question

Seth Ladd

Dec 10, 2020, 3:26:08 PM12/10/20
to api-c...@fuchsia.dev
Hello api-council,

I am writing to request a clarification on IDK Standards (https://fuchsia.dev/fuchsia-src/development/idk/standards) regarding governance and standards for tools.

"The contents of the Fuchsia IDK are governed by the Fuchsia API Council. The IDK does not contain libraries developed outside the Fuchsia project because those libraries are not subject to the governance of the Fuchsia API Council."

My question is, how, if at all, would tools fit into this standard? I see the word library explicitly used, and searching through the document, I don't see explicit mentions of tools.

The motivating question is following up on a request to include a third-party  (not built by Fuchsia team) tool inside our SDKs.

Thank you for the insight and feedback!

Seth

Dave Schuyler

Dec 10, 2020, 3:40:27 PM12/10/20
to Seth Ladd, api-c...@fuchsia.dev
Hi Seth,

Yes, 'tools' would normally be included in this guidance.

An example of a tool that might bend this rule to some degree is FEMU. We don't directly develop FEMU, but we do have a lot of influence there.

An example of a tool that was shot down in the past is a (externally developed) json formatter. In that case we didn't develop it, didn't have much influence over the development of the tool, and whether it was truly required (vs a nice-to-have) was arguable.

IMO, proposals for including tools should not be shot down out-of-hand, but the default answer will be: don't include the tool (i.e. the proposal would need to demonstrate required value that can't reasonably be addressed in another way).

All that said, we have situations like the "private gn sdk" which adds google internal only tools/code on top of the gn sdk (which is on top of the IDK). I.e. depending on the audience there are workable approaches other than having something directly in the IDK.

Hope that helps!

Seth Ladd

Dec 10, 2020, 3:42:37 PM12/10/20
to Dave Schuyler, api-c...@fuchsia.dev
Thanks Dave. Would we be willing to update the IDK Guidance to explicitly mention tools? I'd be happy to submit a CL as a proposal.

Dave Schuyler

Dec 10, 2020, 3:51:49 PM12/10/20
On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 12:42 PM Seth Ladd <seth...@google.com> wrote:
Thanks Dave. Would we be willing to update the IDK Guidance to explicitly mention tools? I'd be happy to submit a CL as a proposal.

SG. Maybe generalize the description, not say lib or tool in the rule, but instead say "items" or similar and then give examples like "(libs, tools, docs, images, etc.)".

Seth Ladd