Adding FIDL handle rights to API reviews

Benjamin Prosnitz

Jun 14, 2021, 7:07:03 AM6/14/21
to api-c...@fuchsia.dev
Hi,

I just finished adding support for specifying handle rights in FIDL files. I think it would make sense for discussions about appropriate handle rights to be part of API reviews.

What is the process for moving forward with this? Should I discuss the feature at an upcoming meeting?

Benjamin

Benjamin Prosnitz | Software Engineer | bpro...@google.com | 917-293-4452

Carlos Pizano

Jun 14, 2021, 3:57:18 PM6/14/21
to Benjamin Prosnitz, api-c...@fuchsia.dev
On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 4:07 AM 'Benjamin Prosnitz' via api-council <api-c...@fuchsia.dev> wrote:
Hi,

I just finished adding support for specifying handle rights in FIDL files. I think it would make sense for discussions about appropriate handle rights to be part of API reviews.

What is the process for moving forward with this? Should I discuss the feature at an upcoming meeting?

The team would likely need some form of education/awareness and outreach, some examples:

- a PSA
- Documentation, I can't find anything other than the RFC
- a Rubric / Migration strategy doc
- A tech talk

Benjamin

Benjamin Prosnitz | Software Engineer | bpro...@google.com | 917-293-4452

Benjamin Prosnitz

Jun 21, 2021, 11:29:10 AM6/21/21
to Carlos Pizano, api-c...@fuchsia.dev
I have a rubric under review, which I welcome feedback on: https://fuchsia-review.googlesource.com/c/fuchsia/+/543342

I would be happy giving a presentation on the feature during one of the API council meetings to provide more clarity if that is helpful.

I sent out a PSA yesterday to announce the feature. Regarding documentation, there is documentation on the FIDL language specification and binding specification (as well as the pending rubric documentation). There isn't a dedicated page on this feature, as I think it makes sense to instead have details added under existing sections.

Benjamin Prosnitz | Software Engineer | bpro...@google.com | 917-293-4452

Benjamin Prosnitz

Jul 14, 2021, 1:40:31 PM7/14/21
to api-c...@fuchsia.dev
Hi,

I'm hoping to follow up.

There is now a handle rights section in the FIDL rubric (link) as well as documentation in the FIDL language and bindings specs. What is the next step for getting handle rights to be part of the API reviews? If I should give a presentation to the API council, how can I schedule that?

Thanks,