New Summer Book Club: The Happiness Advantage by Shawn Achor

Christopher Taverna

May 29, 2014, 1:36:32 PM5/29/14
to PDC News
New Summer Book Club: The Happiness Advantage by Shawn Achor

Our most commonly held formula for success is broken. Conventional wisdom holds that if we work hard we will be more successful, and if we are more successful, then we’ll be happy. If we can just find that great job, win that next promotion, lose those five pounds, happiness will follow. But recent discoveries in the field of positive psychology have shown that this formula is actually backward: Happiness fuels success, not the other way around. When we are positive, our brains become more engaged, creative, motivated, energetic, resilient, and productive at work. This isn't just an empty mantra. This discovery has been repeatedly borne out by rigorous research in psychology and neuroscience, management studies, and the bottom lines of organizations around the globe.

The Professional Development Center and the Employee Assistance Program are pleased to announce a summer book club that is open to all faculty and staff. We will be reading “The Happiness Advantage” by Shawn Achor. Facilitated by Christopher Taverna (PDC) and Susan Murphy (EAP), the book club will meet every two weeks for five sessions to read, discuss, and learn from the techniques presented in the book.

All materials will be provided for the participants. Sessions are planned for 12:00 pm-1:00 pm (feel free to bring your lunch with you!) on the following dates: 6/12, 6/26, 7/10, 7/24, and 8/7.

If you have questions, please contact us at pdc...@fredonia.edu

If you are ready to register, please click here
Participation is limited to the first 15 registrants. Please indicate your interest by Wednesday, June 4th.