FPBench Community Meeting 2022-12-08 (MOVED from 2022-12-01)

Bill Zorn

Dec 1, 2022, 11:38:37 AM12/1/22
to fpb...@fpbench.org

Hi all!

Next Thursday (December 8th) at 9am Pacific time we will have our next FPBench Community Meeting. The meeting is a chance to talk about numerics research, share early demos, brainstorm new ideas, and stay in touch. We'll keep tweaking the format as we learn more about what works for the community.

Marius Cornea, a senior principal engineer at Intel working on math libraries and floating-point (and one of the coauthors of the IEEE Standard 754-2008), will be presenting about new industry standards for low-precision formats. Abstract below:

Low Precision FP8 Floating-Point Formats for Machine Learning – Background and Industry Status

The presentation will examine the reasons for which FP8 formats have emerged, definition details, and variations proposed by industry and academia. We will enumerate a few known (mostly planned) implementations of FP8. We will also look at current standardization work for FP8 formats.

Zoom: https://washington.zoom.us/j/92831331326

Notes: FPBench Community Minutes

Slack: Invite link

Hope to see y'all there :)

Bill Zorn

Dec 7, 2022, 4:44:11 PM12/7/22
to fpb...@fpbench.org
Quick reminder that the meeting has been moved to tomorrow (Dec 8)!

Zorn, Bill

Dec 14, 2022, 2:04:28 PM12/14/22
to Bill Zorn, fpb...@fpbench.org

Marius has kindly provided his slides from the presentation – I have attached a pdf.

Hope everyone has a good finish to their year!

Bill

--
For any list issues, please email `ad...@fpbench.org`.
---