FPBench Community Meeting 2022-08-04

Bill Zorn

Jul 29, 2022, 5:45:40 PM7/29/22
to fpb...@fpbench.org

Hi all!

This upcoming Thursday (August 4th) at 9am Pacific time we will have our next FPBench Community Meeting. The meeting is a chance to talk about numerics research, share early demos, brainstorm new ideas, and stay in touch. We'll keep tweaking the format as we learn more about what works for the community.

Thanks all who attended and presented at FPTalks! Recordings of the talks are now available on the website.

This week, we’ll hear from Edward Misback, who has been thinking about what mechanisms would enable building a general numerical workbench that could compose multiple tools from the community.

Here’s his abstract:

The Herbie web demo is intended as an accessible tool for making a rough guess at the best way to improve the accuracy of a floating-point expression. It aims to support students learning about floating point error, casual users who just want a high-accuracy replacement expression, and expert users who are comfortable interpreting its results. However, it is designed as a single-step tool and leaves little room for users to iterate or adapt it to numerical analysis tasks, even though its underlying functions have broader applications. We describe how an alternative “database workbench” interface will allow users to leverage Herbie’s power while exploring the design space of replacement expressions more flexibly, including support for the development of third-party expression analysis plugins. We would like to discuss with the FPBench community whether the workflow we describe is compatible with other numerical analysis tools and needs, either as plugins or as separate workbenches with a similar interface.

Zoom: https://washington.zoom.us/j/92831331326

Notes: FPBench Community Minutes

Slack: Invite link

Hope to see y'all there :)

Bill Zorn

Aug 3, 2022, 9:20:46 PM8/3/22
to fpb...@fpbench.org
Hi all,

Just a quick reminder that Edward's talk is tomorrow morning!

Bill