can't get past login

Anu Kramer

May 5, 2022, 4:35:39 PM5/5/22
to California Forest Observatory Community
Hi CFO community! I've successfully downloaded data via the api before, but lately when I try to log in, it seems to get stuck in an endless loop after I enter my password. I've tried using forest.authenticate(ignore_temp=True) just in case there's an old lingering password, and I've even made a brand new account to see if that's the problem, but I can't ever seem to log in successfully. Note that I get the same behavior whether or not I enter the correct password.

Thanks for any ideas!
      - Anu

Kamini Yadav

May 16, 2022, 8:03:25 PM5/16/22
to California Forest Observatory Community, Anu Kramer
Hi Anu Kramer,
Can you please help me how to start the process for downloading data. I was following the steps mentioned on GitHub but I am stuck at import cfo command. Can you please provide me your steps as which platform you used and which commands did you follow?
I will greatly appreciate your help.
Thanks
Kamini

Christopher Anderson

May 16, 2022, 8:27:29 PM5/16/22
to California Forest Observatory Community, kaminiy...@gmail.com, Anu Kramer
Hi Anu, Kamini,

It sounds like these may be two separate issues.

Anu, are you receiving any error messages when you try and run `forest.authenticate()`? Or does it just sit there and hang? I don't think you're running into an endless loop issue, as there is no loop in the authentication. It is making a network request to the API server, however, and if you're on a network with a restrictive firewall - or something of the sort - I could imagine that the request may be blocked. Could you try from a different computer? It might also be a tempfile creation issue, which we can try and workaround if it's not a network issue (but this would throw an error instead of just idling). In any event, please let me know if you have any console outputs you could share that might help diagnose the issue.

Kamini, would you please share any console outputs to help me debug your issue? My first instinct is that you're using an old version of Python (like python 2.7). Could you try reinstalling and running with Python3.6+ if so?

Anu Kramer

May 16, 2022, 9:07:09 PM5/16/22
to California Forest Observatory Community, c...@salo.ai, kaminiy...@gmail.com, Anu Kramer
OMG trying on a different computer totally worked! Thanks Christopher / SALO angel!!!

fyi, it was just sitting there (no error message). I was guessing that the other computer I tried on (actually a processing server) would have the same or stricter firewalls than my normal work computer and was going to try on my personal after installing python, but it ended up working great on the server! Still not sure why, but as long as I have this workaround, I'm thrilled :)

Thanks again!
      - Anu