Biomass of wood

arya jani

Aug 30, 2022, 2:00:17 PM8/30/22
to California Forest Observatory Community
Hello,

I am new to using this API and I was wondering if there is anyway I can find the woody biomass of a particular polygon region in California

Kyle Gertridge

Aug 30, 2022, 3:14:11 PM8/30/22
to arya jani, California Forest Observatory Community
Hi Arya-  Thanks for reaching out.  We will be releasing an above ground biomass layer soon.  Depending on your use case, there are ways to estimate AGB using the metrics available now on the CFO, too.

Curious to hear more about your work.  Do you mind sharing?

Best,
Kyle

On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 11:00 AM arya jani <arya...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I am new to using this API and I was wondering if there is anyway I can find the woody biomass of a particular polygon region in California

Kyle Gertridge

arya jani

Aug 30, 2022, 4:35:11 PM8/30/22
to California Forest Observatory Community, ky...@salo.ai, California Forest Observatory Community, arya jani
I am just trying to explore if I can estimate the AGB of a certain polygon region using this API. The main goal is to get this info so that it can help in preventing potential fires in specific regions.

arya jani

Sep 6, 2022, 2:14:32 PM9/6/22
to California Forest Observatory Community, arya jani, ky...@salo.ai, California Forest Observatory Community
So in order to estimate the AGB (Above ground biomass) for a polygon geojson which steps or what method calls should I try implementing? Right now I tried the custom data clipping demo but that returns a corrupted tif file. When I tried downloading data for counties I would get an openable tiff file but when I open it on my computer it just seems to be a map with the area of interest darkened with no other visible information. Please guide me and maybe show me where should I be exploring if not here. Thanks

David Marvin

Sep 6, 2022, 3:00:25 PM9/6/22
to California Forest Observatory Community, arya...@gmail.com, California Forest Observatory Community
Please make sure the custom polygon is in the same projection as the raster data (EPSG:32610) before running the clip.

As for how to go about estimating ABG using our forest structure data, that is not within the scope of the services the Forest Observatory or its API offers. You will need to consult with someone who has a background in forest biomass estimation.