metadata

Petronila Esther Mandeno

Oct 13, 2020, 6:35:16 PM10/13/20
to California Forest Observatory Community
Hello,

Maybe I'm missing it (I looked), but are there metadata pages for each layer?

Thanks,
Esther

California Forest Observatory

Oct 14, 2020, 11:47:40 AM10/14/20
to California Forest Observatory Community
You can find more detailed descriptions of each data layer on the About page under Reference Material in a document named "CFO Data Description"

The one layer not included at the moment is Surface Fuels.

Petronila Esther Mandeno

Oct 14, 2020, 2:26:29 PM10/14/20
to California Forest Observatory Community, in...@forestobservatory.com
Thank you!

John Gallo

Mar 14, 2022, 8:31:07 PM3/14/22
to California Forest Observatory Community, mandeno...@gmail.com, in...@forestobservatory.com
Hello,
Fantastic site, thank you!
I was scouring the site for documentation on surface fuels, and all I could find is this.  Can you send me a summary of the surface fuels documentation? How is High Spread rate determined? What is the threshold in height for a surface fuel?
Thank you,
John

John Gallo

Mar 14, 2022, 8:34:30 PM3/14/22
to California Forest Observatory Community, John Gallo, mandeno...@gmail.com, in...@forestobservatory.com
Is it possibly the bulk density for all materials less than 1 m in height? Something like that?

California Forest Observatory

Mar 15, 2022, 1:37:24 PM3/15/22
to California Forest Observatory Community, John Gallo, mandeno...@gmail.com, California Forest Observatory
Hi John,
We produce Scott & Burgan 40 (FBFM40) surface fuels, which are described here: https://www.fs.fed.us/rm/pubs/rmrs_gtr153.pdf

Instead of an expert-driven process that integrates remote sensing data (as done by LANDFIRE), we use an entirely data-driven process to produce the surface fuel data using satellite-derived data layers.

Rather than showing a 40-class categorical raster on the platform, we use the associated spread rate for each fuel model class for display purposes only. When you download the surface fuels data, it will be a categorical raster of the Scott & Burgan 40 class fuel models.

John Gallo

Mar 31, 2022, 8:00:54 PM3/31/22
to California Forest Observatory, California Forest Observatory Community, mandeno...@gmail.com, California Forest Observatory, Gladwin Joseph
Ok, wonderful, that makes sense. Thank you CFO Admin Person!

Can you send me and/or post the Look Up Table that links the Fuel model number (the raster number that comes with the data, e.g. 101), with the Fuel model code (e.g. GR1) and the third attribute, the Fuel model name (e.g. "Short, sparse, dry climate grass")?

I am fairly confident I or someone here could recreate it using Scott & Burgan 40, but that will take quite a while, will require an assumption, and also leaves some room for human error. Especially this human ha ha.

Thanks,

John