Category "Weather" and Metric "Windspeed" returning empty lists

Kronimiciad

Apr 17, 2022, 3:33:09 PM4/17/22
to California Forest Observatory Community
Howdy folks,

I'm a student working on a class project that aims to predict fire risk based off of historical and real-time data.  I'd like to use CFO for stuff like wind speed.  However, API searches for the "Weather" category or the "Windspeed" metric return empty lists for me.    Can anyone advise me on what I'm doing wrong?  Here's the script that I'm running in PyCharm:

import cfo
import os

forest = cfo.api()

os.environ["CFO_EMAIL"] = "myemail@server"
os.environ["CFO_PASS"] = "password"

z = forest.search(category="Weather")
print(z)

wind_ids = forest.search(metric="WindSpeed")
print(wind_ids)

os.environ.pop("CFO_EMAIL")
os.environ.pop("CFO_PASS")

With the output:
[]
[]

Process finished with exit code 0

Kyle Gertridge

Apr 18, 2022, 2:30:55 PM4/18/22
to Kronimiciad, California Forest Observatory Community
Hello-  What data are you looking for specifically?  for example, wind speed from when and where?  The CFO is more useful for vegetation fuel conditions/loads and it might be that the data you are looking for is just piped in from somewhere else for visualization purposes and we could point you there instead.

Kyle

Kyle Gertridge

Kronimiciad

Apr 18, 2022, 5:00:58 PM4/18/22
to California Forest Observatory Community, ky...@salo.ai, California Forest Observatory Community, Kronimiciad
Hello Kyle,

I'm hoping to combine real-time data with historical data to estimate fire risk across all of California—specifically, I'd like to draw on a map regions of varying fire risk on a qualitative scale (something like minimal, moderate, severe).  With regards to wind speed, if possible, I'd like the wind speeds across all of California at the time that I make the query (or as close to as possible).  The finer the resolution the better.  I'd be much obliged if you could let me know where CFO's wind data comes from, and I'll wander thataway.

Unrelated to my question on empty lists, though:  I'm planning to also use CFO for data like fuel conditions and load.  Again, I'd like to draw regions of fire risk across all of California:  do the spatial elements of the vegetation data have any overlap I should be aware of?

Thanks for your time!

Christopher Anderson

Apr 18, 2022, 8:03:07 PM4/18/22
to California Forest Observatory Community, archety...@gmail.com, Kyle Gertridge, California Forest Observatory Community
Hi there,

Sorry that you're experiencing trouble with the API requests. I think I know what the issue is and I'll work later this week to resolve it. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience, and we'll be sure to get your data shortly.

Cheers,
Christopher