an update on the "Data access methods" section re-write.

Joe Hourcle

Jan 6, 2015, 12:48:52 AM1/6/15
to idm...@force11.org

I've started the re-write, but realized that I was short-changing Content Negotiation. It actually *does* have a way of specifying alternatives. (but only alternatives ... Web Linking allows for other relationships, too)

It also has a provision for selection by 'features'. I've never seen it used before, though, so I've been trying to find examples of it used in the wild ... and not having much luck.

... that would solve the issue of being able to select based on metadata standards, but we then might be in a situation of needing to create a registry of standards to ensure everyone calls them by a fixed name. (eg, is 'spase' enough, or do we need a version number, so 'spase2.2.3'? and are dots allowed in the tags?)

I'll see what I can find out tomorrow on my commute in, as I should have a good half-hour on the metro.

I've put what I have so far in a section immediately below the existing one, and called it 'Serving the landing pages'. (but I think I've screwed up the indenting in that section ... I was basing my LaTeX on copy & paste from above, but I suspect I didn't quite understand that stuff).

-Joe

and blah, I have to get up in ~4 hrs.

Joe Hourcle

Jan 6, 2015, 8:21:12 AM1/6/15
to idm...@force11.org

On Jan 6, 2015, at 12:49 AM, Joe Hourcle wrote:

> I've started the re-write, but realized that I was short-changing Content Negotiation. It actually *does* have a way of specifying alternatives. (but only alternatives ... Web Linking allows for other relationships, too)

[trimmed]

> I've put what I have so far in a section immediately below the existing one, and called it 'Serving the landing pages'. (but I think I've screwed up the indenting in that section ... I was basing my LaTeX on copy & paste from above, but I suspect I didn't quite understand that stuff).

I think I fixed the basic issues (and added a little bit more), but I can't figure out how to get it to break cleanly on the example lines.

(I tried breaking the \texttt{} block into two, but that didn't work.

Also, I tried adding a citation 'mozilla-content-neg', but the author line is keeping the bibliography from compiling, so I removed it:

author = {Shepherd E., Fiumara P.A., Walters B., Stanton, Swisher J., Lu K.-H., Teoli, Kantor M., and Smith J.},

-Joe