[FINOS Community] A note on the ongoing escalation in the Middle East

Gabriele Columbro

Oct 10, 2023, 2:29:35 PM10/10/23
to FINOS General List, All FINOS
Dear Community,

Late last week, I planned to reach out to share my excitement for the upcoming OSFF, our keynotes and what an exciting time is for our Community. But in the last few days we all witnessed horrifying events that frankly trump anything going on in the Community.

While I was able to reach out to several colleagues and friends, our Community has grown beyond the realm of direct connections and so I wanted to take a moment to reach out to everyone on this list and especially to those in the region.

While this terrifying violence for many seems on the other side of the world, please consider that there are members of our team and Community, global in its nature, whom we collaborate with every day to build amazing open source projects, for whom today comes with a very heavy heart. Their families, relatives, and friends are not safe and they are coping with deep shock and pain. And this will likely extend for a long period of time, with permanent trauma for everyone directly or indirectly involved.

So I want to extend my personal message of support and care to all of you who are dealing with this incredible challenge: please know we are all collectively here to support you. Contributions can wait, families and loved ones can’t. The physical and psychological safety and well being of our community is of the highest importance and must be our utmost priority.

I encourage everyone to reach out personally and check-in, I know it will mean a lot. And if you can't, that's also OK, but at least I ask you to be mindful this situation will likely disrupt normal flow of interaction with several members of our Community.

I hope for a peaceful resolution soon, and for everyone to stay as safe as they can.

Thanks,

Gab

--
Gabriele Columbro | Executive Director | FINOS

Open Source in taking over Financial Services. Come meet the leaders of the FINOS community for the largest Open Source in Finance Forum to date in NYC on Nov 1st 2023! Secure your spot today

Become a FINOS Member to accelerate your organization path to value in engaging with open source communities and collaborate with the largest financial institutions in the world.

Stay informed on the latest updates from FINOS, including the FINOS newsletter and notifications of upcoming FINOS events - see www.finos.org/sign-up