Git Proxy contributed to FINOS by Citi

Groves, Paul

Nov 24, 2020, 2:48:10 PM11/24/20
to anno...@finos.org

Dear FINOS Community,

I'm excited to announce Git Proxy has been successfully contributed to FINOS and is hosted on https://github.com/finos/git-proxy

Git Proxy started life as discussion #163 as part of the FINOS Open Developer Platform and has strong potential collaboration with other FINOS initiatives like DevOps Mutualisation and Open Source Readiness.

Git Proxy aims to solve risk and control issues many banks have in place when contributing to open-source.

It's often experienced that when developers in banks contribute to open source, information security and compliance often requires processes to be in place to ensure code reviews, security scans and the bank's policies are adhered to before code reaches an open source repo.

We want to keep engineering processes as simple as possible and believe the solution is Git Proxy.

Git Proxy sits between the developer and the open source repository. Git Proxy implements risk and control processes (automated or manual) before the code leaves the bank's internal network. Of course, every bank has different procedures, so a key feature has to be the extensibility of the framework.

Git Proxy is quickly approaching a ‘proof of concept’ milestone, which allows early adopters to run internal pilot programs behind their corporate firewalls, and provide valuable feedback in terms of requirements and priorities. Raise a Git Proxy issue if you'd like to be an early adopter!

The Git Proxy team is Paul Groves, Lead Maintainer from Citi and Maurizio Pillitu from FINOS and we're inviting you to join! Simply raise a Git Proxy issue and say hello, especially if you know NodeJS, Material UI, the Git protocol, or simply want to learn by joining a new challenging FINOS project.

See Git Proxy's CONTRIBUTING file for more information on how to contribute and check our Help Wanted and Good First Issues to start contributing to Git Proxy now!

We'd like to say thank you to DevOps Mutualisation and the FINOS Community for the warm welcome and great feedback. We're looking forward to making Git Proxy the standard tool to mitigate the first and main friction the banking industry faces when contributing to open source.

Thank you.

·       Paul Groves (Citi)

·       Maurizio Pillitu (FINOS)

Get involved in the Git Proxy conversation

https://github.com/finos/open-developer-platform/discussions/163

Contact the Git Proxy Team

https://github.com/finos/git-proxy/issues/new

Adam Jones

Nov 24, 2020, 3:18:44 PM11/24/20
to Groves, Paul, anno...@finos.org
Congratulations Paul! Monumental effort on your part.

Another great project for FinOS, excited to see what extensions appear once the trials start.

Best,
Adam

On Tue, 2020-11-24 at 19:47 +0000, 'Groves, Paul ' via FINOS Announcements wrote:

[...]

Villagra, Alejandra M

Nov 24, 2020, 3:36:10 PM11/24/20
to Adam Jones, Groves, Paul, anno...@finos.org

Thank you Paul for your continued leadership in Open Source contribution @ Citi… !!  thrilled to be on the board again J

Ali

James McLeod

Nov 25, 2020, 10:26:48 AM11/25/20
to Groves, Paul, anno...@finos.org
Congratulations Paul and Mao for the contribution of Git Proxy into FINOS.

It's so great to see the wonderful emails coming back from the FINOS community. You really have captured the imagination of engineering teams.

Good luck with future features and remember to ask the FINOS community for help if you need more contributors and testers! :)

All the best,

James.

Gabriele Columbro

Dec 2, 2020, 2:30:33 PM12/2/20
to James McLeod, Groves, Paul, anno...@finos.org
Paul, Mao,

I am personally very excited for this contribution as it brings a whole new level of concreteness to the Open Source Readiness efforts FINOS relentlessly pushed over the last few years.

Continuing to enable this industry developers to be able to participate in open source communities, not just through policies and training material, but with a concrete and valuable component that can be used by regulated institutions, it's a major step in the right direction.

Plus, echoing Ali, it's great to have seen Citi step up this year with active contributions and engagement in our Community.

A heartfelt thank you on behalf of our Governing Board!

Gab

--
Gabriele Columbro | Executive Director | FINOS

FINOS recently announced the availability of Legend, the logical modeling and language contributed by Goldman Sachs. Get sandbox access and contribute to the platform or join us at Open Source Strategy Forum in November to learn more!

FINOS (now part of the Linux Foundation) hosts the largest community of open source contributors in Financial Services. Contribute to our projects and become a Member to help us build a true open financial stack and ecosystem.