FINOS Morphir

Goldbaum, Stephen

Sep 8, 2020, 10:06:35 AM9/8/20
to anno...@finos.org

Dear FINOS Community,

I am pleased to announce that Morphir has been successfully contributed into FINOS.  Morphir was originally developed at Morgan Stanley from the desire to give our business users more application transparency while also protecting our core business logic from rapid changes in technology.  At its core, Morphir defines a standard structure for storing business logic and a set of tools to enable producing and consuming that logic across languages and technologies.  It has been used to consolidate rules and calculations, share logic across systems, automate live documentation, automate boilerplate code, and more.

Morphir is in active development and it will be exciting to see how it can contribute to the broader FINOS ecosystem.  The current streams of focus are:

                     Multi-Language Support – Morphir supports writing and executing models in multiple languages.  We currently generate JVM (via Scala) and JavaScript.  We are working with Microsoft Research to also enable Bosque as a language for specifying Morphir models.

                     Application Modeling – Using Morphir so service developers write pure business logic and the rest is automated.  Our initial project generates and deploys a full Dapr project from a Morphir model.  We’re now doing the same for the Spring Boot technology stack.

                     Unified Stream & Batch Data Processing – Using Morphir to write data process models that can run across database and streaming technologies.  We’re currently focusing on Spark and hope to expand to SQL, Kafka Streams, Flink, Hazelcast, etc.

                     Visualization Tools – Enabling automated documentation and live audit tools through a set of standard UI components.

                     Within FINOS - We anticipate applicability to the Alloy and FinReg initiatives.

The progress and potential in all of these projects depends on community contributions; from coding to documentation.  Please visit the welcome page and main repo in GitHub for more information and feel free to contact us via GitHub Issues or directly through email.

                     https://github.com/finos/morphir

                     https://morphir.finos.org

                     https://github.com/finos/morphir#contributing

Stephen Goldbaum, Executive Director
Morgan Stanley | Corporate & Funding Technology
1221 Avenue of the Americas, 4th Floor | New York, NY  10020
Phone: +1 212 762-7163
Stephen....@morganstanley.com

NOTICE: Morgan Stanley is not acting as a municipal advisor and the opinions or views contained herein are not intended to be, and do not constitute, advice within the meaning of Section 975 of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. If you have received this communication in error, please destroy all electronic and paper copies and notify the sender immediately. Mistransmission is not intended to waive confidentiality or privilege. Morgan Stanley reserves the right, to the extent required and/or permitted under applicable law, to monitor electronic communications, including telephone calls with Morgan Stanley personnel. This message is subject to the Morgan Stanley General Disclaimers available at the following link: http://www.morganstanley.com/disclaimers.  If you cannot access the links, please notify us by reply message and we will send the contents to you. By communicating with Morgan Stanley you acknowledge that you have read, understand and consent, (where applicable), to the foregoing and the Morgan Stanley General Disclaimers.

You may have certain rights regarding the information that Morgan Stanley collects about you. Please see our Privacy Pledge https://www.morganstanley.com/privacy-pledge for more information about your rights.

Gabriele Columbro

Sep 8, 2020, 4:24:58 PM9/8/20
to Goldbaum, Stephen, anno...@finos.org
Stephen and team, thank you for this so very exciting contribution and for the trust in FINOS to help the team grow in contributors and adopters.

I am particularly excited as we are seeing a lot of early traction on the open source financial regulation initiative and this project is a very concrete example of how common OSS technology can be used in the regulatory process.

Looking forward to seeing the project grow even further under FINOS!

Gab

--
Gabriele Columbro | Executive Director | FINOS

FINOS joined the Linux Foundation to accelerate even further the growth open source in financial services.. Get involved today and become a FINOS Member to contribute building  a true open financial stack and ecosystem.