Understanding dif authentication types

Randy Johns

Dec 1, 2022, 11:13:42 AM12/1/22
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
I am new to this topic but have looked and many articles and want to make sure I am understanding what is available today for authentication types:
  1. Password only (single factor authentication)
  2. Password substitute (OTP, Bio, etc replace password)
  3. MFA (Password and another factor...something the user has or is)
  4. Passwordless (no password ever created...public and private key to device created)

Arshad Noor

Dec 6, 2022, 7:10:34 AM12/6/22
to Randy Johns, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
That is one way of looking at it.

Another way of looking at authentication technology is described in this
peer-reviewed paper from 2008:

https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/1373290.1373293.

ABSTRACT

Since the dawn of computing, operating systems and applications have
used many schemes to identify and authenticate entities accessing
resources within computers. While the technologies and schemes have
varied, there appears to have been little attempt to classify them based
on their ability to resist attacks from unauthorized entities.

With the proliferation of identity management technologies in the market
today, it is becoming increasingly difficult to assess and compare them
with each other. As the threat level continues to rise on the internet,
and regulations governing information technology continue to grow, risk
managers need more objective mechanisms to assign risk to their systems
so they may apply appropriate mitigating controls.

This paper attempts to describe a classification scheme that will permit
the comparison of seemingly different identification and authentication
(I&A) technologies on the basis of their vulnerability to attacks. With
a better understanding of related authentication technologies, companies
can determine the appropriate technology to use for mitigating
authentication risks.

Arshad Noor
StrongKey