Move clientPin to device in between

August Tenon

Aug 3, 2022, 9:46:30 AM8/3/22
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
Hi,

I am looking at version CTAP 2.0 January 30 and have a question about clientPin.

Is it possible to move the clientPin away from the client?

Say for example that we have a system between the client and the authenticator that forwards information between the two nodes. Could this device remove clientPin from the getInfo response and then append pinAuth to commands so that the middle device is responsible for the pin part?

It seems like it would be possible for the device in the middle to fetch the pinToken and then append pinAuth by calculating HMAC-SHA-256(pinToken, clientDataHash) when receiving a command.

Other variable like clientDataHash and authData are signed to prevent modification, but it seems like pinAuth isn't protected in this way.

Philipp Junghannß

Aug 15, 2022, 10:07:37 PM8/15/22
to August Tenon, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
So basically doing something similar to a smartcard reader with a secure Keypad?
I like the idea (and there are smartcard style FIDO2 devices too so it seems plausible like that too)

honestly I don't know whether this actually works, I think this would need to be tested, but sounds like fun.

nuno sung

Aug 16, 2022, 12:52:11 AM8/16/22
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev), My1, FIDO Dev (fido-dev), August Tenon
https://w3c.github.io/webauthn/#sctn-client-authenticator-proximity

If the client allows or includes such kind of implementation, I think it falls within the risk assessment of the client trusting this middleware (hardware or software). The authenticator can only respond to the same CID of HID or pairing/encryption mode of BLE or per applet selection of NFC as a basic check.

My1 在 2022年8月16日 星期二上午10:07:37 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道: