Fido Passkey is not working with iPhone Captive portal

Athur Krishna

May 19, 2023, 2:07:27 PM5/19/23
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
I was able to set up passkey auth with okta and used as my wi-fi sso login.
in iPhone the captive portal launches and it does not recognize passkey - however the Safari and Chrome browser in the same iPhone identifies passkey.

any thoughts?

Tim Cappalli

May 19, 2023, 2:09:34 PM5/19/23
to Athur Krishna, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
Captive portal mini-browsers use Embedded WebViews which do not currently support WebAuthn on any platform.

tim

May 19, 2023, 3:27:00 PM5/19/23
to Tim Cappalli, Athur Krishna, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
it might be possible to just close that, open a normal browser and try to access a site that is not protected by HTTPS, like neverssl, which is useful to get a normal browser to move into a captive portal.

Athur Krishna

May 19, 2023, 3:44:38 PM5/19/23
to My1, Tim Cappalli, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
it's not a good experience for end users. is there any initiative for captive portal to start supporting webAuthn?

My1

May 19, 2023, 3:56:52 PM5/19/23
to Athur Krishna, Tim Cappalli, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
sure long term that would be awesome.
I was just thinking of a short term work around.

I wasnt even aware that there are captive portals that support WebAuthn, so never had an idea whether the captive portal webview can do that lol.

What software are you using? Only if it's okay that I may ask, that would be so damn cool.

Joost van Dijk

May 25, 2023, 4:27:56 AM5/25/23
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev), My1, Tim Cappalli, FIDO Dev (fido-dev), Athur Krishna
Some will actually consider this a feature.
Captive portals have several security issues, even if the website is protected by an HTTPS secure connection. For instance, revocation checking (or updating crlsets) requires a network connection that isn't available yet.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to use passkeys to sign in to a WiFi network. There is some work being done in the IETF to enable that (through EAP/802.1X so mostly for enterprise networks and eduroam), but I believe that is still in a very early stage currently.

--Joost

Athur Krishna

May 25, 2023, 12:10:33 PM5/25/23
to Joost van Dijk, FIDO Dev (fido-dev), My1, Tim Cappalli
Hi Joost

Thanks.

Do you have any more details on the IETF work?

Thanks
Krishna

My1

May 25, 2023, 12:15:50 PM5/25/23
to Joost van Dijk, FIDO Dev (fido-dev), Tim Cappalli, Athur Krishna
isnt revocation checking not even done by most browsers anyway iirc except maybe for some big names and EV certs?
also OCSP staple could also help.

Joost van Dijk

May 26, 2023, 5:57:41 AM5/26/23
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev), Athur Krishna, FIDO Dev (fido-dev), My1, Tim Cappalli, Joost van Dijk
Not yet, unfortunately.
Work on EAP-FIDO is coming out of the eduroam community. I believe they are working on an IETF internet-draft, but I haven't seen anything yet.
--Joost

Joost van Dijk

May 26, 2023, 6:07:54 AM5/26/23
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev), My1, FIDO Dev (fido-dev), Tim Cappalli, Athur Krishna, Joost van Dijk
That is probably true. Even so, roaming Wifi networks like eduroam and govroam still prohibit the use of captive portals.
https://eduroam.org/faqs/#:~:text=Does%20eduroam%20use%20a%20captive%20portal%20for%20authentication%3F,-No

But I do agree that if captive portals are used, WebAuthn would be a huge security improvement compared to using passwords.
--Joost

My1

May 26, 2023, 6:22:06 AM5/26/23
to Joost van Dijk, FIDO Dev (fido-dev), Tim Cappalli, Athur Krishna
when you have a member-only network, that is cool but for example in mixed networks where you have both members and guests with temporary tickets (which is totally fine if the network disallows communication between devices anyway), or you plain cant do EAP because of compatibility issues (e.g. most game consoles cannot handle EAP) a captive portal kinda is your only option.

but wait eduroam is a specific standard? never knew that, I just thought that was more or less randomly the name of the wlan at the university I had an internship at lol.

Joost van Dijk

Oct 30, 2023, 10:51:56 PM10/30/23
to Joost van Dijk, FIDO Dev (fido-dev), Athur Krishna, My1, Tim Cappalli