Cross Browser Authentication with FIDO Webauthn

Thamindu Dilshan Jayawickrama

Feb 18, 2022, 1:07:29 AM2/18/22
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
Hi All,

I'm wondering whether FIDO Webauthn registration and authentication supposed to work across multiple browsers (security key registration from one browser and authentication from another browser). From what I have found, webauthn spec doesn't store anything in the browser side and hence should work across browsers.

I have observed this is working fine with windows hello, but doesn't work with MacOS touch ID as it stores credentials in browser. I'm looking for some clarification or article with a good explanation involving platform and roaming authenticators.

Found a similar issue on stackoverflow as well without a proper answer for touch ID.

Thank you,
Thamindu

DUBOUCHER Thomas

Feb 18, 2022, 4:51:17 AM2/18/22
to Thamindu Dilshan Jayawickrama, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)

Hi,

Yes, it is supposed to.

As you discovered, Windows already provide a native APIs for browsers (https://github.com/microsoft/webauthn), whereas it is still a work in progress in OS X.

Consequently, browsers on Windows “share” credentials; while on OS X, Chrome, Firefox, etc, all use their own local storage, with their default implementation for Unix. It’s the same behavior currently on Debian, etc.

Best regards,

--

Thomas Duboucher

Thamindu Dilshan Jayawickrama

Feb 18, 2022, 7:01:30 AM2/18/22
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev), thomas.d...@thalesgroup.com, Thamindu Dilshan Jayawickrama
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your reply. Is there an official place where this OS X and Debian limitation is mentioned?

Thanks & Regards,
Thamindu